SNAP LINKS / HOOKS

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
TIDDLER

SNAP LINKS / HOOKS

Post by TIDDLER » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:01 pm

Hi GUYS - QUESTION .... HAVE ANY OF YOU HAD EXPERIENCE USING SNAP LINKS / SNAP HOOKS FOR SUPPOSEDLY "QUICK" CHANGE OF FLYS ?? MY OLD EYE DOES NOT LIKE HAVING TO REGULARLY CHANGE FLYS ON THOSE DAYS WHEN THE FISH ARE NOT COOPERATING AND TAKING MY CHOICE OF FLY .

Maniototoflyfisher

Re: SNAP LINKS / HOOKS

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:48 pm

No experience Al, but I could imagine the small 1cm long clips made for soft baiting could work with big flies like cicadas - can't see them working with #16 dry flies - time for a magnifying lens?

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:32 pm

YEH DAVE - ALREADY WEARING A BIFOCAL AND CLIPON POLAROIDS . CHANGING ONE LOT OF CLIPONS FOR CLIPON MAGNIFYERS IS A PAIN . WHEN I WIN LOTTO I'LL BE LIKE THE GOLFERS AND GET MYSELF A CADDY TO DO THE TEDIOUS TASKS LIKE CHANGING FLIES .
THERE MUST BE SOMEONE ON THE FORUM WHO HAS USED THEM . THE BELOW ARTICLE SHARES SOME LIGHT !

http://www.tongarirofishingguide.co.nz/ ... =7&aid=246

Maniototoflyfisher

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:34 pm

Those small snap links could be the go - haven't seen them advertised anywhere but haven't been looking either - someone on here will know. Good idea to thread the micro rings on the safety pin.
When we were in the UK last year, at a restaurant every seating had a takeaway plastic see through "credit card " that magnified - great for old eyes to read the menu. Gave mine to a friend who struggles to read menus - now I wished I'd kept it - lashed to my vest it would have been simple to look through to magnify the eye - once I'd sorted out how to hold everything in the right place!

Lindeanfisher

Post by Lindeanfisher » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:55 am

Gents
Depending on the style of hat/brim one wears I have found the Orvis magnifiers very handy - no more dropped flies!
I have tried Snowbee flip ups but they have light weight legs and eventually break. I went through two pairs in one season!

https://www.orvis.co.uk/p/orvis-super-magnifiers/6983

I will certainly be bringing these with me on my next visit to NZ.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:43 am

I used those fly clips many years ago, but for saltwater stuff. Was fishing for toothy critters and needed single strand wire tippet, which means you cant swap flys obviously. I was obviously using a lot larger versions that the ones your talking about, but the same design. I found they worked OK, but I did have some flys fall of in the boat (not while fishing). I ended up swapping to micro Hawaiian clips. They worked a treat, but not really relevant for freshwater as they are way too big.

As for the old dreaded presbyopia, iv gone to those stick on bifocals. Work a treat. I find one pair makes 2 as I cut the lens down very small as I only need a small window to tie a fly on, and prefer the bifocal bit not getting in my eye line when jumping over rocks in the back county.
I'm just about to order another pair as my wife is now also struggling to tie her flys on.

https://www.hydrotaclenses.com/

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!