South island lakeside cruisers

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
reeltime

South island lakeside cruisers

Post by reeltime » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:54 pm

Had a go today fishing for lakeside cruisers managed to hook one out of ten on a pheasant tail nymph. Any pointers please on how i should be trying to catch these fish lures and tactics? Cast in front and give the fly a twitch or strip or is there a better way . Any suggestions much appreciated

TIDDLER

Re: South island lakeside cruisers

Post by TIDDLER » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:10 am

Hi REELTIME - YOU DON'T GIVE ANY INFO AS TO THE TYPE OF LAKES YOU TRIED .I FISH OTAGO HIGH COUNTRY LAKES .DRY FLY .
I MEET A LOT OF BRITS AND OTHER NATIONALITIES . THE BRITS IN PARTICULAR WANT TO RETRIEVE INSTEAD OF LETTING THE FLY SIT AND ATTRACT THE FISH (I think the fly "winks" at them :P ).
ON VERY STILL WATER ITS TRUE A TWITCH CAN BE VERY EFFECTIVE BUT THIS IS A SKILL THAT TAKES A WHILE TO LEARN. TOO MUCH AND YOU SPOOK 'EM . I HARDLY EVER STRIP . ITS GETTING LATE IN THE SEASON FOR DRYS SO NYMPHING IS A GOOD OPTION .keepatit ....Al

reeltime

Post by reeltime » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:38 am

Many thanks tiddler been fishing lake te anau and before that lake benmore , think based on your advice i have been moving the fly too much

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:30 am

A great method for lake cruisers is a dry dropper, cast well ahead, don't twitch... you want a small dry with a visible post like a Para Adams and a short dropper around 1-2 feet (to suit depth fished?) to something like a lightly weighted #16 Pheasant Tail. It's a hugely underlooked method on lakes.

Failing that a 18ft leader with a damsel imitation stripped in front of the fish can often entice a strike, leader length being crucial. Jerky start-stop retrieve especially effective coming off a weedbed, in fact weedbeds in the vicinity are so important to success IMO.

Maniototoflyfisher

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:33 pm

Seconding Andrew's small dry with a small nymph on the dropper. In my area there are not many stillwaters clear enough to see cruisers - most are tea stained and the best you can hope for is the odd swirl or tail showing - plus weed or silt or slime means a fly dragged over the bottom quickly becomes a "blob". I usually use a corixa or damsel or hares ear on the dropper.
In Canterbury on the sandy bottomed lakes using a dragonfly nymph pattern is popular - leave on the bottom then twitch a couple of centimetres when a cruiser is a couple of metres away then wait - don't move the fly unless the trout seems to be swimming past.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:52 am

Yea Dave that's exactly the way I usually fish our lake edges around here. A damsel nymph style fly left on the bottom and given the slightest amount of movement once a cruiser gets within eye shot of it. I did tie some up at one point with rubber legs so when they land on the bottom the hook point rides up, and made with rabbit fur to give it movement in even the stillest of water.

The other way I now love to fish them is to tie up a nymph shape fly with just black angora goat dubbing. No weight, just the dubbing. Its an incredibly boring looking fly, and we all know its the fly that catches the fisherman, the fish don't care. :)

I fish those on a grassed leader, so the fly sinks into the water column but the greased leader prevents it from sinking to the bottom. Its a lethal way to fish as I feel the fish see it as either a corixa or a NZ freshwater snail (their a similar size). I rarely get a refusal fishing that way!

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

HareNcopA

Post by HareNcopA » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:28 pm

flyfish wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:30 am
A great method for lake cruisers is a dry dropper, cast well ahead, don't twitch... you want a small dry with a visible post like a Para Adams and a short dropper around 1-2 feet (to suit depth fished?) to something like a lightly weighted #16 Pheasant Tail. It's a hugely underlooked method on lakes.

This guy knows!

Currently my favorite method of fishing for sighted fish in backwaters

reeltime

Post by reeltime » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:02 pm

Thankyou for all the suggestions I'll give it a go and report back