Fly Reel for Beginners

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
JACK_UP

Fly Reel for Beginners

Post by JACK_UP » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:26 pm

Hi my wife and I are just getting into fly fishing and i am wondering if anyone could suggest a good reel.
thanks
Wayne

TIDDLER

Re: Fly Reel for Beginners

Post by TIDDLER » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:19 pm

Hi WAYNE - AFTER OVER 50yrs OF THREADLINING FOR TROUT I SWITCHED TO FLY FIVE YEARS AGO WITH CONSIDERABLE SUCCESS AND GAINING MUCH PLEASURE . REMEMBER THAT IT IS THE ROD AND YOURSELF THAT WILL BRING THE FISH IN WITH ONLY SOME ASSISTANCE OF THE REEL . IF YOU HAVE MONEY TO BURN THEN THERE ARE SOME FLASH REELS OUT THERE . I DIDN'T .
I STARTED OUT WITH GOOD 2nd HAND REELS AND AM STILL USING THEM .
TWO SUCH REELS ARE RIMFLY AND DRAGONFLY REELS . BOTH ENGLISH . THERE IS A TIDY LOOKING RIMFLY ON T/M AT THE MOMENT. IT PAYS TO BUY A GOOD LINE . THAT ALSO DOES A LOT OF THE WORK . STEVE ON THIS FORUM SELLS GOOD REELS AND LINES IF YOU WANT NEW .GOOD LUCK .
Al .

fraser hocks

Re: Fly Reel for Beginners

Post by fraser hocks » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:36 pm

Yeah pretty much as Tiddler said. There are some amazing high end reels out there (and yes I own quite a few) but do I need them, no.

As a first off reel, id recommend a lamson liquid or guru. All the lamson reels share the same sealed system, so any cheap end lamson will do nicely. Fully sealed so if (or should I say when) you dunk them in the water there aren't any issues. Most other reels need to be dried out with the spool off after a dunking. I've had a few mates who have dunked their reels and not knowing this. A few months later the bearings in the reel as stuffed. Less than ideal.

Also not as important when you're learning, but the weight of the reel needs to balance out the rod. A cheaper rod usually is a bit heavier and therefore will cast nicer with a bit more weight in the reel. Most more expensive rods are so light that unless the reel is very light then it detracts from the action of the rod. Nothing to worry about until your looking into buying a top end rod thought.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!