AP Nymphs

Step by Step and Pattern recipes etc Share them here
Johnno

AP Nymphs

Post by Johnno » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:48 pm

Andre Puyans died in 2005 but his fishing and tying legacy lives on. He was a perfectionist and many of his students found that out to their angst when he would take a razor to a fly. Proportion and proper materials were everything to him and good enough was not good enough. He was no fan of polished heads and liked the head to be dubbed. He was no fan of synthetics, preferring natural furs and feathers. He was also the man behind one of the best more recent English patterns, the Goddard Caddis, developed from the G&H Sedge.

These are tied as part of a large American order I'm currently immersed in. I'm loving it as the client is very much a traditionalist, almost a hippy. He's gone back to the roots of American fishing. No synthetics for him.. well nearly none. Always love tying old school, right down to copper wire for weight rather than lead. Takes me back to the 1970's.... Real flies, real tying.

These patterns along with a few others are discussed in detail in "Founding Flies" by Mike Valla. Every serious tyer with a bent for history should have this book

I'd like to think the razor wouldn't be taken to these....