Canal fish

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
fraser hocks

Canal fish

Post by fraser hocks » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:30 am

Well I finally gave it a shot. Headed up to the canals for a weekend with the wife to see how we would go.

Everyone was telling me it was prety slow and from what I saw it was. Took a couple of spin rods as well as spey and single handed rods. I think the spin rods saw the light of day twice before me and the wife decided that they were about as close to real fishing as using dynamite.

It seemed that lots of people were either using soft plastics or bait. We went fly one,all be it egg patterns and streamers. Managed a few nice jacks and one rather epic beast. 27.5lb and 36" long. A true McKenzie High country dolphin :lol:

Took an egg pastern. Sight casting to it with a Tongariro style with a large thingambober indicator. I was demoing the new Sage X rod in a 6# and have to say it was the perfect tool for the job. Handled a heavy rig like that with ease and has amazing lifting power for a 6# rod. Awesome bit of kit. I think the wife has fallen in love with it, so it one might have to be added to our quiver?

https://goo.gl/photos/6LCWNuy1C3KCBHEY8

https://goo.gl/photos/414XvYSfe9ckN93j7

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

flyfish

Re: Canal fish

Post by flyfish » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:43 am

Mate, that is a beast! Well done, beautiful colours! I'd be ringing Martin Simpson for that one and getting him to paint it!... "gonna need a bigger canvas" though...

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:36 am

HEHEH cheers mate. Yea have to say im a happy boy.

The canals are an interesting one. I was never really interested in them, but after visiting them i can see there not quite what my preconceived ideas of them where. Its a bit more natural than I first though. Not to say its anything like backcountry fishing but its maybe not as artificial as most think.

The interesting one is that i reckon these fish are targetable on dry fly. That's my next target a 20lb+ fish on dry. Biggest issue is going to be finding a dryfly hook that's strong enough to take the pressure. Might take me some time, but I reckon its achievable. ;)

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:46 pm

Yeh.......

Nah.

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:39 pm

WELL DONE MAN . TOOK ME A WHILE TO MAKE THAT SYSTEM WORK (all new to me ) BUT IT WAS WORTH THE STRUGGLE . NOTHING COMPARED TO YOURS - I'LL BET . YOUR SMILE AND GLEAM IN YOUR EYES SAYS IT ALL . FISHING WILL NEVER BE THE SAME ! :D

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:00 am

Thanks boys. Yea to say im happy with myself is an understatement. The fish was truly stunning looking too. Iv got a few more photos. Gleaming white leading edges to the fins etc.. just an amazing example of a huge jack in spawning colors.

Deciding now weather to get a replica mount of it made or not. Maybe just a nice photo up on the wall will suffice?

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:56 pm

Nice work. Will be no stopping you now - in fact I expect a call to join you one weekend!

Andy W

Lindeanfisher

Post by Lindeanfisher » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:28 pm

Fraser
An absolute stunner of a fish. Pristine colours and condition. I am sure you will relive the moment many,many times. (The smile answers that statement)
Congratulations again.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:11 pm

Some more photos post TIDDLERS request.

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:21 pm

WELL DONE FRASER - YOU OBVIOUSLY TAMED THE PHOTO SYSTEM . THANKS , THATS GREAT ! 8-)

bettagetabiggernet !!!! :P