The NEW SIMMS Guide Boots are CRAP

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
Steve
Site Admin

Re: The NEW SIMMS Guide Boots are CRAP

Post by Steve » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:54 pm

I've been resisting a comment so far as I've got a vested interest, however the new X Series Riverworks boots are doing well. They have a molded single sole so avoided one of the main problems that I've seen with wading boots of the soles peeling off.
Sold quite a number of them now and no issues with durability at all that I can recall. Riverworks have been improving their boots with each new range and I think it's fair to say they have no got them pretty spot on right now, and when combined with the deal they have of a free pair of boots with the X Wader they are excellent value. They get them manufactured to their specs for NZ conditions, so they can make changes when problems do occur. RW is a NZ brand, why not support them instead of the overseas guys?

SnapT

Post by SnapT » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:23 am

Hi murfm,

Not sure which store you dealt with - but let's not name them online.
Normal procedure for any Simms retailer addressing issues on Simms product purchased within NZ or Australia is to contact us to resolve it.

Regardless, feel free to contact me directly - contact details here http://manictackleproject.com/contact-manic-tackle/

Cheers,
Matt

Salmo Brown Trout

Post by Salmo Brown Trout » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:47 pm

Mat
I bought my boots online from a US store, and have added so much glue to the sticking areas that I wouldn't stand a chance in hell of returning them.
I fish a hell of a lot and spend alot of hours and kilometres walking up rivers, so I would put my boots through a lot more than your average customer.
You can see from the pictures of where they have degraded.
I also have a pair of the River works, that are less than a year old, and have used half a tube of glue repairing the back section that keeps coming off, after the stiching has worn away.
I can provide more photos if you like.
So far in my 20 years of serious fly fishing I have only had one pair of boots last longer than one year, and they were the original SIMMS guide boots.
Destroyed to date: Snow bee, River Works, SIMMs G3 & Vapour, Chota and Korkers.
I an seriously thinking about getting my original SIMMs guide boots re-souled, as all other boots are CRAP.
I have written to SIMMs with no reply. Gutless.
tight lines
Paul

A bad day's fishing beats a good day working.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:38 am

Well i bit the bullet yesterday. Got some new Simms Guide boots and Guard socks from my local store.

My old Riversheds lasted me well, at 3 years of use. I do a lot of fishing, particularly as i fish right through winter with the spey rod. I do clean and dry my boots carefully after iv got back from fishing as i want them to last (boots ain't a cheap throw away item any more) so I'm expecting them to last as well as my last pair of Simms boots. I'm going to put my faith in my local store, the top team at Manic and ultimately Simms to look after me if these boots don't last as they should.

Thanks for that Steve. Good to see a local firm producing a quality product. I would have considered a pair, but there isn't anyone locally stocking Riverworks down here now, and boots are one of those items i want to try on first before buying.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

SnapT

Post by SnapT » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:04 pm

Hi Paul,

Thanks for being honest about buying these from the US. As you know we’re only in a position to carry the warranty on products purchased within NZ and Australia. Next time round if you purchase your boots from a local store, any issues you may come across can be dealt with straight away through your local dealer.

It sounds like you fish hard and you’re a hard on boots, hence the “kill-list” of footwear, that said in our experience the G3 is up to this task. In future if you purchase locally you’ll be covered for any issues like this you have.

Cheers,
-Matt

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:14 pm

Just an update. Iv had the boots a few months now, remembering i still fish a lot through winter, what with spey fishing and all.

Just got back from a long weekend in the back country for opening and did quite a few km over rough terrain in the new guide boots while carrying a 18kg pack and I have to say i think i love these new boots even more than the old Riversheds. A bit lighter as well I reckon which is nice when you have to do the hard km. And a bonus is the boots are in exactly the same condition as the day I bough them. Very happy I chose the option i did.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

lichen

Post by lichen » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:41 pm

Hi all...
not new to forum but first post on new one...
just chucking in my knowledge on boots..... i fish some of the hardest walking rivers in the central north and i use simms boots ..... not the guide boot though. ..... freestone i think they are..... the reason why??? ...bugger all stitching. .... less stitching = less problems

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:17 pm

Simms are not my first choice by far but trying to get waders to fit a female in this country is well nigh impossible. Ended up getting Simms Freestone boots and waders for the SO. I would have preferred riverworks because personally RW have been very good for me but alas neither Steve or anyone else was able to accommodate. Way it goes. Donna and I are most interested to see how both brands compare over time

Salmo Brown Trout

Post by Salmo Brown Trout » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:05 am

lichen wrote:Hi all...
not new to forum but first post on new one...
just chucking in my knowledge on boots..... i fish some of the hardest walking rivers in the central north and i use simms boots ..... not the guide boot though. ..... freestone i think they are..... the reason why??? ...bugger all stitching. .... less stitching = less problems
Hi Lichen

Simms Freestone boots will be my next purchase and because I agree with your reason "bugger all stitching"
with the Guide boots it wasn't the stitching but the gluing.

On a better note, I have been fishing continually since the 14th of October wearing Simms Vapor Boots and they haven't put a foot wrong (pardon the pun). Light weight even when wet and good strong grip on rocks.

Simms just need to improve the Guide Boots.

Tight Line

Paul

A bad day's fishing beats a good day working.

Jaapie

Post by Jaapie » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:49 am

[quote="Steve"]I've been resisting a comment so far as I've got a vested interest, however the new X Series Riverworks boots are doing well. They have a molded single sole so avoided one of the main problems that I've seen with wading boots of the soles peeling off.
Sold quite a number of them now and no issues with durability at all that I can recall. Riverworks have been improving their boots with each new range and I think it's fair to say they have no got them pretty spot on right now, and when combined with the deal they have of a free pair of boots with the X Wader they are excellent value. They get them manufactured to their specs for NZ conditions, so they can make changes when problems do occur. RW is a NZ brand, why not support them instead of the overseas guys?[/
quote]

I agree 100% with you there Steve.
My last pair of Riverworks did however fall apart very quickly, but I must give due credit to the company who replaced them swiftly once the problem was highlighted to them - great customer service!

I have a new pair of Riverworks boots - not sure of the model, but with the molded single sole that was the replacement model they provided.

One thing I have found however is that they are as slippery as all hell.
They really do not grip at all on wet rocks which I found to be just insane.
I'm fishing locally around Murchison and yes, there are a lots of slimy rocks, but I have never had a problem like this before. It's actually quite disconcerting to be honest - took a few real tumbles yesterday and ended up being washed a fair way downriver.....scary shit! At least my 4 piece remained a four piece.
My river crossing skills are pretty good and I have a fair sense of safe wading etc. but this really gave me the willies.

Be really interested in any comments please as I'm seriously reconsidering changing these.

My last pair had studs, these don't.
A lot of blokes swear off studs for slipping and also the click-click underwater, but I'm not that fussed.