Fish and Game

Issues affecting our sport...
mjl

Re: Fish and Game

Post by mjl » Thu May 28, 2020 7:36 pm

Fraser,

Fish and Game are a “Crown Entity”. Their governance and accountability arrangements, including access to necessary information and authority to conduct a review, are covered by the Crown Entities Act. The Minister almost definitely has the authority. If she then decides she wants to modify the structure or function of F&G she would have to change the Conservation Act.

From what I can tell even avid Fish and Game supporters seem to have at least some concerns with their current operations. The removal of the national chairman, substantial change to policy, a mismatch between council’s views on policy and the licence holders, potential conflict of interest, tension between the national council and the executive, tensions between the regional councils and the national body, concerns that national councillors are acting as regional delegates rather than nationally, concerns about resource allocation between regions/Wellington and question marks over the governance of individual regions is a pretty extensive list of concerns. I think NZ anglers are right to be concerned about the final outcome of this review but considering the happenings described above such a review isn’t all that surprising.

mjl

Post by mjl » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:15 pm

Review has been announced:

https://www.beehive.govt.nz/sites/defau ... 202020.pdf

Touches on most points of concern. It rules out a DOC take over and maintains the regional aspect to the structure.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:40 pm

Here's an article that expands on things: https://nzffa.com/a-case-for-reform-of-fish-and-game/

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:30 am

Hummm seems like a good idea, on the face of it.

Not quite sure why the Treaty of Waitangi is brought up a few times in the outline of the review? Seems incongruous to me. If the internet is to be more inclusive of Maori then that's a good thing, but I'm thinking there maybe an ulterior motive.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!