Another Scotish visiting Angler

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
scotish wildfisher

Another Scotish visiting Angler

Post by scotish wildfisher » Fri May 18, 2018 9:20 pm

Hi everyone Id like to introduce myself.Ive visited NZ now a few times to go fly fishing.My trips are always solitary affairs.I rarely bump into anglers and I came across this forum I thought it would be good to chat and share info.I usually visit the south Island first and fish the Oreti and marora unless the weather usually a downstream wind forces me to go somewhere else. My last trip 4 years ago I noticed a bit more didymo in the marora but it was still a good experience -just a bit more time cleaning of my nymphs.Does anyone know what the state of the river is recently and has the new cycle track changed anything down there? Apart from a local guide i used from Gore, I did bump into a Kiwi chap that visits Iceland most years with his wife to catch salmon.

Dave

Re: Another Scotish visiting Angler

Post by Dave » Sat May 19, 2018 7:59 pm

There probably wasn't as much didymo in the Mararoa early this season but I didn't go there later in the season. There is unlikely to be much change overall as it is a tail water with reasonably stable flows that didymo likes. The cycleway only exists downstream of the gravel pit on the Oreti and most of the way it is a reasonable distance from the river. Good to walk back down after a days fishing. At this stage it is likely that the Southland District Council will develop the remainder of the cycle way along the road as they don't have the money to do anything else.
Dave

scotish wildfisher

Post by scotish wildfisher » Sun May 20, 2018 4:45 am

ok thanks for the info.I am going to fish both rivers next season. James

Dave

Post by Dave » Sun May 20, 2018 10:32 am

If you didn't come out this season there have been some changes for the Oreti. The first is that a Southland back country licence is required to fish above rocky point (just above Mossburn) and there is a beat system on the river above So-Big stream. Have a look at the Fish & Game web site for full details.
Dave

scotish wildfisher

Post by scotish wildfisher » Tue May 22, 2018 9:11 pm

ok thanks for that.I didnt know about the backcountry licence.The beat system at the top of the walk in section was definitely needed.Ive been up there a couple of times with people camping in the carpark or on the lake and I had no idea if i walked down the river if there was anyone fishing. James