Boys Trip to Te Anau...

Post fly fishing articles, stories of successful trips, write about a favourite place, fly, your experiences, include your pictures and share with the forum
Wilki

Boys Trip to Te Anau...

Post by Wilki » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:49 am

My boys and started a tradition last year with a summer camping holiday, the intent is to head somewhere new and explore our wonderful New Zealand scenery with some sightseeing and a little fishing along the way. We chose Te Anau for this years trip staying at the Top 10 campground is always a good thing, excellent facilities and kid friendly with a cool kids zone.
I'd been to Te Anau before but not really done the sights so I was looking forward to tripping around with the boys, I'm a firm believer in seeing your own country before travelling overseas. New Zealand has so much to offer it's not surprising how many tourists we get to our wee country, such variety in close proximity for easy travel.
We picked a couple of tourist activities to see, the glow worm cave cruise tour and of course we had to see one of the sounds! As I hadn't done either myself, I picked a bus ride to Milford with a cruise tour... it was the best way to go, I was able to enjoy the sights without driving and the bus tour driver pointed out all the interesting facts and features with stops along the way. The Milford cruise included a stop at the underwater observatory all were fantastic and fascinating, you do feel a little out of place at times being a kiwi on the tours :D
We did fit a day in on the Egglington river, a flyfishing only river with easy access as there are picnic/camping spots along the road as the valley follows the river. This is both good and bad as the sections between the stops are quite short but we took a chance and got lucky fishing about 3 sections without seeing another angler. With such easy access and plenty of people about what seemed like sitters were not! A long leader and gentle presentation was required otherwise the sitters just skulked away.
We had a great trip as we always do, keeping a good mix of activities for the boys and plenty of treats along the way... what a great country we live in!

Boys kitted up for a day in the sun on the river...

Jaapie

Re: Boys Trip to Te Anau...

Post by Jaapie » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:35 am

Nice report mate and great shots too.

Certainly is the best playground on the planet.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:42 pm

Nice Mike, your boys will remember these trips forever, special times spent with their Dad

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:47 pm

Nice work Mike. Yep she is a sweet bit of water hey?

Me and the wife just got back from a tiki tour up to Timaru. Some lovley water up that way as well hey? Only disapointmet was seeing how most of the rivers between Timaru and Waitaki were bone dry river beds :(

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!