Lunar AC2 Reels

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
Maniototoflyfisher

Lunar AC2 Reels

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:14 am

Anyone had a play with the new Lunar reels ? I see they are available from January if pre-ordered but I presume there's been some " trial " ones around getting a workout.

Johnno

Re: Lunar AC2 Reels

Post by Johnno » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:55 am

I have not used the Lunar, but have used other hubless reels and I have to say.... fantastic.

ziffle

Post by ziffle » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:29 pm

It looks really nice but who would pay that kinda money for a click pawl reel when so much of the value in a standard reel is in the drag mechanism. Good on him/them for the development though

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:55 pm

Problem with drag for modern fly reels is that on the whole drag systems are ridiculously over engineered. For the average trout you don't need the drag systems on many high end - and lower end - reels. Blue water salt fly maybe and even some flats fishing maybe, but trout ... Nup. But yeh. We all have them...

Take it from one who does regularly use some old 1930's to 1960's era blue collar CP reels, I've never lost a trout - even big trout - due to the drag systems ( or lack of) on them.

Now, I have ordered a Lunar. As soon as I saw they were out.

I just really really like hubless reels and finally I'm going to get to own one... 8-)

So there.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:39 pm

Yep with you on this Johnno. One of the largest trout Iv caught was on a Lamson P series reel. Did feel I need a high end drag during the fight? Nope!

When I meet people that start talking about the need for high end drags on there fly reels, I always think to myself "Ah, so their new to fly fishing? "

Stunning looking reel, and knowing Carl these will be the ducks nuts! Want one yes, but unfortunately have some more pressing costs to cover at the moment.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Brown Trout Stalker

Post by Brown Trout Stalker » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:57 am

Well put Fraser and Johnno

Reels aren't the least important of the 3 main compenents requirements for Fly Fishing, with Rod and Line being the two most important.

You can play a fish, using your hand to haul in the line and using a stripping bucket around your waist to store it.

Remember a reel is just a storage device for your line, to stop it getting tangled and snagged.

I agree that the Lunar AC2 Reels and Hubless reels do look nice. :D

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

Dave

Post by Dave » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:50 pm

I have always wanted to make a hubless fly reel but have never figured out how to make the drag work.
I always use the drag on my reels and have done since I started fly fishing many years ago. I had no choice then as the first reel I bought had a full frame (I think it was an Olympic) so you couldn't get at the rim of the spool to apply dray with your hand. It also gives me one less thing to worry about while I am playing the fish while sorting out the net etc. Even so I did manage a nasty burn on my fingers with a fish on the Waiau (St James) when trying to control the loose line as it took off down river. It wasn't even very big but it sure took off. I will stick with my disc drag system thanks. Everyone to their own.
Dave

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:15 pm

....Even so I did manage a nasty burn on my fingers with a fish... when trying to control the loose line as it took off down river. It wasn't even very big but it sure took off....

The way I read it, that's hardly a reel drag issue though.. it's merely loose line going through your fingers..

but you are right, each to their own!!

TheBadger

Post by TheBadger » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:23 pm

I haven't used one, but I've had a play with one at Epic HQ. Tolerances are excellent and the design is extremely neat. Build quality is very high. Personally I do like a drag on my reel for a 5 and 6wt rod, but if an AC1 shows up anytime soon I'll likely pick one up to go with a 376 and my 4wt.

Dave

Post by Dave » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:41 pm

.Even so I did manage a nasty burn on my fingers with a fish... when trying to control the loose line as it took off down river. It wasn't even very big but it sure took off..
Johnno, I was using that as an example of playing the fish using just your hands as suggested above by BTS as up to the stage when the line is on the reel this is exactly what you are doing. I was glad to get the help of the drag in that case and wouldn't have wanted to do the whole job without it.
Dave.