Best weight rod for NZ

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
Brown Trout Stalker

Re: Best weight rod for NZ

Post by Brown Trout Stalker » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:38 pm

Hi Canuck

For back country i use a Fast action 9' 5 weight Sage TCR & Fact action 9.5' 6 weight Sage TCX or a Ultra Fast action 9.5' Sage Method Elite 5 weight
If i could use all at once i would.
It's the best fun you can have with your rod in your hand.

For the smaller stream a 8' 4 weight Sage.

The 5 weight and 6 weight will controll the big back country browns. And the fast action helps throw 20 foot leaders.

Still looking for smaller fish to use my 3 weight and 0 weight Sage's.
Where do they hide?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

canuck

Post by canuck » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:03 am

Interesting discussion, thanks.

I have been away doing the bush fire thing for the past 2 weeks hence why I haven't been participating; I will probably be gone again in a few days. I have to say I am looking forward to some time in NZ this summer where I don't have to worry about bushfires! We are having a crazy summer in BC with over 1 million hectares burnt so far and the end is probably still 1 month away.

It seems like the 5 - 6 weight is the popular choice, I might add a lighter 6 weight to my collection as a windy day, might want to throw a streamer, back up kinda rod. My 5 weight gets the job done most days and I love the way it casts(the rod may not love the way I cast ;) )

Hopefully I can catch up to some of you for a fish in the future( maybe this summer)

Canuck

the_skunk_whisperer

Post by the_skunk_whisperer » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:20 pm

Five weight One gets the job done for me. I don't much like fishing in the wind anyway. More fun after the hook up than either of my old six weights were. When I have gone back to a stiffer six weight rod (a cheap Echo Base) it was a real eye-opener just how much heavier it is in the hand and how much more effort is required to use it. Not much fun to fish with at all.