Stickman T6

Fly rods, reels, lines, waders, what good, what not...
Post Reply
MrFish
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:38 am

Stickman T6

Post by MrFish » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:43 am

Hi all

Anyone tried or using a Stickman T6 for trout fishing South Island NZ, I’m looking at treating myself to a new high end stick and like what I’m reading about them from overseas anglers but would like to know how they work on our local water. I know I could just get a “proven” sage what ever but I have always liked to think outside the box and try something a bit different to the norm.



Maniototoflyfisher
Posts: 119
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:30 pm

Re: Stickman T6

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:38 pm

Haven't seen a Stickman rod - but with "support your local" have you investigated Epic rods?



User avatar
fraser hocks
Posts: 856
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 3:25 pm
Location: Queenstown

Re: Stickman T6

Post by fraser hocks » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:57 am

Never heard of them. As Dave said, get an Epic. I'v got a bunch of them. Stunning casting rods that are just magnificent, and built in Wanaka 😉


Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Maniototoflyfisher
Posts: 119
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:30 pm

Re: Stickman T6

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:33 pm

Stickman rods are assembled in Hungary with blanks made in Spain



User avatar
fraser hocks
Posts: 856
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 3:25 pm
Location: Queenstown

Re: Stickman T6

Post by fraser hocks » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:34 pm

Probably why i'v never heard of them? Could very well be nice rods, but it's nice to stick with a kiwi made product I feel. The craftsmanship from those guys is outstanding, and the rods are true casting rods. Hardly surprising as Carl (the owner) is the only accredited casting assessor in NZ.


Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

MrFish
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:38 am

Re: Stickman T6

Post by MrFish » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:12 pm

Thanks for the replies. Epic are definitely under consideration as well.



loomis303
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:25 pm

Re: Stickman T6

Post by loomis303 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:17 pm

MrFish wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:43 am
Hi all

Anyone tried or using a Stickman T6 for trout fishing South Island NZ, I’m looking at treating myself to a new high end stick and like what I’m reading about them from overseas anglers but would like to know how they work on our local water. I know I could just get a “proven” sage what ever but I have always liked to think outside the box and try something a bit different to the norm.
Hi, I holiday each February in the Taupo area but fish mostly backcountry. When I first came to NZ I followed the advice and stuck with a 9 foot 5 weight. However, I soon felt under gunned when heavy nymphs were used or when the wind came up. I then switched to fish exclusively with a 9 foot 6 weight. At first I used a Zenith which was a great rod, but I had heard fantastic reviews on the American forum about Stickman rods. After conversing with Akos and told him what I was after, I plumbed for the Stickman T6 (9 foot 6 weight). Unlike many 6 weights, it is TRUE to line weight (I actually put an amplitude infinity on it) and it performs absolutely beautifully. It flex profile is incredibly smooth and consistent and it has bags of power down low. What I really like about it (apart from the build quality) is it's ability to cast very accurately in short and with long leaders. The blanks are made in Spain and have been designed by a master rod designer whose name I can't remember, but when you cast the rod you will know that some serious development work has gone on with it. Akos himself is a master caster and knows exactly what he wants from a rod. As regards an all round multi-purpose rod for NZ (from Tongariro, Mohaka to smaller backcountry tribs) I honestly have yet to cast a better more intuitive rod than the T6. I have cast the NZ favourite, the Scott Radian in both 5 and 6 and they are exceptional rods. However, I have to give the nod to Stickman for such an intuitive casting, deep powered true to weight 6 weight. It's the perfect NZ rod.



Johnno
Posts: 715
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: Stickman T6

Post by Johnno » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:16 am

Be a brave person wanting to bring something in from Europe at the moment. You think it’d get here? 😬.

I’ve been waiting for a book from the UK from a very reputable outfit. Usually It’d take two to three weeks at most.
Three months.
Still waiting.....
Its been sent.
I doubt I’ll see it.



MrFish
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:38 am

Re: Stickman T6

Post by MrFish » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:25 am

loomis303 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:17 pm
MrFish wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:43 am
Hi all

Anyone tried or using a Stickman T6 for trout fishing South Island NZ, I’m looking at treating myself to a new high end stick and like what I’m reading about them from overseas anglers but would like to know how they work on our local water. I know I could just get a “proven” sage what ever but I have always liked to think outside the box and try something a bit different to the norm.
Hi, I holiday each February in the Taupo area but fish mostly backcountry. When I first came to NZ I followed the advice and stuck with a 9 foot 5 weight. However, I soon felt under gunned when heavy nymphs were used or when the wind came up. I then switched to fish exclusively with a 9 foot 6 weight. At first I used a Zenith which was a great rod, but I had heard fantastic reviews on the American forum about Stickman rods. After conversing with Akos and told him what I was after, I plumbed for the Stickman T6 (9 foot 6 weight). Unlike many 6 weights, it is TRUE to line weight (I actually put an amplitude infinity on it) and it performs absolutely beautifully. It flex profile is incredibly smooth and consistent and it has bags of power down low. What I really like about it (apart from the build quality) is it's ability to cast very accurately in short and with long leaders. The blanks are made in Spain and have been designed by a master rod designer whose name I can't remember, but when you cast the rod you will know that some serious development work has gone on with it. Akos himself is a master caster and knows exactly what he wants from a rod. As regards an all round multi-purpose rod for NZ (from Tongariro, Mohaka to smaller backcountry tribs) I honestly have yet to cast a better more intuitive rod than the T6. I have cast the NZ favourite, the Scott Radian in both 5 and 6 and they are exceptional rods. However, I have to give the nod to Stickman for such an intuitive casting, deep powered true to weight 6 weight. It's the perfect NZ rod.
Wow, thanks for your in-depth reply, very helpful. Looks like I might be spoilt for choice here in NZ this summer with the new Scott Centric and G.loomis NRX+ Being launched here as well.



MrFish
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:38 am

Re: Stickman T6

Post by MrFish » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:25 am

Johnno wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:16 am
Be a brave person wanting to bring something in from Europe at the moment. You think it’d get here? 😬.

I’ve been waiting for a book from the UK from a very reputable outfit. Usually It’d take two to three weeks at most.
Three months.
Still waiting.....
Its been sent.
I doubt I’ll see it.
Hmm, that could be a worry !



Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests