Cicada hookup

Discus tips on techniques, styles and tactics here
TIDDLER

Re: Cicada hookup

Post by TIDDLER » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:13 am

FRASER - THERES NO NEED FOR FALSE MODESTY HERE .
IF YOU LIKE TO SHOW "CLIENTS" YOUR "PRIVATE" LIFTING TECHNIQUE THEN FEEL FREE ! :P

WHEN I SWITCHED TO FLY A FEW YEARS AGO IT WAS ON STILL WATERS WITH CICADA . I WAS HOPELESS AND MANY A WELL MEANING ANGLER IMPARTED THEIR "WISDOM". EVERY THING FROM DO /DON'T STRIKE - WAIT - COUNT 3 - GO AND MAKE A CUPOF TEA etc etc . I'M AN ANALYTICAL GUY AND SOON WORKED OUT THAT ONE MANS STRIKE IS QUITE DIFFERENT TO ANOTHER.
I'M SHORT - OLD - WITH CROOK SHOULDERS SO DON'T DO HIGH RISE TYPE STRIKES ... MORE JUST AN ELBOW DRIVEN STRIKE .
A TALL MAN PERFORMING A HIGH RISE STRIKE WILL CREATE QUITE A DIFFERENT ACTION ON THE FLOATING FLY.
ON THE BANK OR WAIST HIGH IN WATER ALSO ALTERS THE FLYS ACTION .
I REVERTED TO INSTINCT AND SETTLED FOR DOING A "SOFT" STRIKE AND GET THE SORT OF RESULTS THAT DAVE IS AIMING FOR.

AS AN ASIDE MY PARTNER (threadliner) CAUGHT A LOVELY FISH LAST WEEK USING A BUBBLE AND 3' TIPPET. SHE DIDN'T EVEN KNOW SHE HAD A TAKE TILL THE FISH STARTED TUGGING THE LINE . THAT WOULD SUGGEST STRIKING IS NOT NECESSARY AT ALL.

Al.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:07 am

TIDDLER wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:13 am
FRASER - THERES NO NEED FOR FALSE MODESTY HERE .
IF YOU LIKE TO SHOW "CLIENTS" YOUR "PRIVATE" LIFTING TECHNIQUE THEN FEEL FREE ! :P
I might have to stop, since I get mixed results. Some LOVE it and others are offended for some reason??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

AS Steve said, don't underestimate the fish missing the fly. A friend of mine who is a retired doctor noted that the location of the eyes on a trout means that the last few inches before their noise they probably cant see anything. In years past iv spotted trout happily sipping away on good hatches of mayfly completely miss a natural coming past several times. I used to think that they refused the fly last minute, but in reality they aren't always on the mark when taking the fly.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:21 am

SPENT 2hrs ON MY FAVOURITE PUDDLE YESTERDAY . HAD 100% SUCCESS RATE WITH HOOKUPS (so doing something right )
... BUT ... ONLY NETTED 4 OF THE 7 :oops: (so doing something wrong ??) . Ah WELL - THATS CICADA FISHING !! 8-)

Maniototoflyfisher

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:45 am

Spent 4 hours at the P yesterday. Only the odd cicada around and not big numbers of trout showing themselves. First trout/rise seen took my cicada and was hooked and landed - good condition,4.5lb but deformed jaw (treble hook encounter?) From there on my hookup was abysmal- one more hooked but came free on a jump. Another 10 plus fish appeared to take and tried the above "wait 3 seconds then quietly tighten". The interesting thing was that several times the fly disappeared in the rise and 1 second later popped to the surface again- to be taken again- then popped up again- then taken again and stayed subsurface. Gave it another couple seconds then tightened - occasionally felt initial resistance but more often nothing. Mate had same problem. TIDDLER - you need to stay at the Teviot Anglers hut and show us how it's done !!

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:22 pm

What’s the hook on your cicada patterns? If it’s the TMC200R you might have issues. IMHO it’s got poor hooking power due to a narrower gape. I far prefer the TMC2302 or similar..

Maniototoflyfisher

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:06 pm

Hi Johnno - Using TMC 100 #8 - mainly for it's wide gape. Had another order arrive from Flyshop today and included some tussock cicadas - they look like they are tied on a similar hook but #10.
Part of my problem seems to be trout not fully committed to swallowing hence the fly popping to the surface within a second of being taken. It's not common for a natural cicada to pop up after being drowned so maybe my fly acts differently and they don't like that? I'm using elk rump hair from a hind I autopsied 25 years ago and it's very buoyant. The flies I got from Steve are red deer hair - could that be significant?
Any help appreciated

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:14 pm

Maybe the 10s will do better. Sometimes going down a size or two makes a difference....

Maniototoflyfisher

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:32 pm

Another trip to one of my high country dams. Perfect day - sunny, warm with light breeze - moderate numbers of cicadas on the water for the 4 hours we were there and most importantly, lots of trout taking them.
Started with a Flyshop tussock cicada ( amazing detail with eyes and wings) - with 5 takes got 2 hookups with only one netted. My mate started with a spun deer hair cicada pattern but didn't hookup the first 2 takes - and rather than persisting like yours truly changed to a stimulator and later a elk hair caddis and had instant success- every take translated into a hookup with a "normal " dryfly lift - wait a second then quietly lift. So after lunch I swallowed my pride and removed my "exact" imitation and put a stimulator pattern on - only 2 takes but both landed. Maybe I've learnt something?

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:35 pm

Flare of the deer hair wing.. letting light through? Buzz of moving wings? :geek:

SuperJack.10

Post by SuperJack.10 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:04 pm

I’m not a massive fan of the long shank and narrow gape a lot of terrestrials seem to be tied on. I tie almost every fly I fish on the TMC 2499SP BL because they’re barbless and have a nice wide gape. I started tying cicadas on them too because I couldn’t find a barbless terrestrial pattern and I find crushing barbs second best. The new fly company C3 also tie their cicada pattern (the Woomfah) on the same hook.

I managed three from three in a short session on the local this afternoon - in saying that, all the takes were reasonably definite sips rather than the slashing takes you sometimes get, and I think this probably has more to do with the success ratio than anything else.

This is a good video showing how fish can miss or half miss a big buoyant fly bouncing around even when it wants to eat and takes it confidently: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs3jNgfAA_A ... wokwcixmxa