Cicada hookup

Discus tips on techniques, styles and tactics here
SuperJack.10

Re: Cicada hookup

Post by SuperJack.10 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:06 pm

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:37 pm

That fish was taking short, not happy with the fly. As soon as a bit of movement was imparted, it ate. That was the trigger right there for that fish. It’s worth remembering that sometimes movement on a dry like a terrestrial or caddis or even mayfly can impart a take. Refer to Leonard M Wright’s book, “Fishing the dry fly as a living insect” . Some very good insights to this very thing.....

SuperJack.10

Post by SuperJack.10 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:59 pm

Agree the fish isn’t sure on the second video, but the first one he definitely wants it and it shows that even in very smooth water there is a chance that a big buoyant terrestrial fly can bounce around in the moments before a fish eats and may not be taken as securely as we’d always expect.

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:11 pm

...... hut and show us how it's done !!
DAVE - YOU HEARD OF THE MAN WHO COULD JUGGLE CANNON BALLS - HE WAS SUMMONED BY THE KING TO TEACH HIM THIS SKILL - THEY BOTH ENDED UP WITH BROKEN TOES :?: :cry:
SERIOUSLY THOUGH - I HAVE TAKEN NOTE OF WHAT I'M ACTUALLY DOING . BEING SHORT AND DOING AN ELBOW TYPE STRIKE THE FLOATING LINE DOES LIFT BUT THE LEADER - TIPPET & FLY SKIDS ALONG THE SURFACE TOWARDS ME .EVEN MORESO WHEN I'M THIGH HIGH IN WATER . PRESUMABLY THIS IS SOMEHOW AFFECTING THE TAKE AND HOOK SETTING .
MY BIGGEST PROBLEM LATELY IS SMALL FISH - TOO MANY !
I HAVE HAD TWO MISSES THIS WEEK BUT THAT DOESN'T BOTHER ME . I JUST CHUCKLE AND SAY "NEXT TIME "
THE SECOND OF THE TWO VIDEOS SHOWS WHY A LOT OF MY CATCH IS HOOKED IN THE SIDE OF THE MOUTH - FLY SPILLING OUT AS FISH TAKES .FASCINATING !!
Al.

Maniototoflyfisher

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:19 pm

Finally sorted this cicada malarkey today - 12 takes - 10 good browns netted - all comes down to the fly selection! No more frustration - and the cicadas keep hatching

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:26 pm

GREAT !! I'M PLEASED FOR YOU DAVE ! THE OLD STORY - EACH MAN HAS TO FIND HIS OWN PATH .
THE DOWNSIDE IS .... YOU ARE NOW BANNED FROM MY PUDDLE :P :lol:

Maniototoflyfisher

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:58 pm

I could sneak in from my end to the old iron bridge and you wouldn't even know 😜

Erik Moller

Post by Erik Moller » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:32 am

TIDDLER
I like your attitude: I HAVE HAD TWO MISSES THIS WEEK BUT THAT DOESN'T BOTHER ME . I JUST CHUCKLE AND SAY "NEXT TIME "

It's a bummer to miss a good fish, but on the other hand if you hook every one, the exitement of the take would be less.
We all try to be perfect, always choosing the right fly, make a perfect presentation and not miss the take. Thankfully, I'll never be that good :D

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:44 am

God dam cicada action. I had a client on the weekend have a fish of at least 8lb come up and eat the cicada. He lifted perfectly (knows his stuff this guy. A very well known tackle agent from the pacific north west) and no weight. To say himself and myself were gutted was an understatement. He said to me afterwards that it would have been his biggest trout on dry fly... if he had landed it.

Oh well back to the drawing board.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Maniototoflyfisher

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:42 am

What type of cicada fly was he using Fraser? On our tussock dams I was having a frustrating time with my spun/clipped deer hair patterns - lots of "takes" but not many hookups. Tried some flyshop cicadas - amazing detail - eyes and wings. Hookup improved but still not good. Made some #8 elk hair caddis with brown glister dubbing - the difference was amazing. 12 takes and 10 netted. Two of them hit the fly hard and immediately hooked themselves and took off with no reaction from me. The rest were hooked with tightening up after only a second.
So why did they "actively" take the elk hair caddis when they were taking "short" on the clipped patterns?
I suspect the difference is the way the light comes through the deer hair wing that mimics how the light comes through a natural cicada. With a spun/clipped body, no light can get through, although a wing extending behind the body will help.
It might not make much difference in rivers but on stillwaters I know which pattern I'll start with!