Casting issues

Discus tips on techniques, styles and tactics here
Taieri George

Casting issues

Post by Taieri George » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:01 pm

While I don't (cannot) double haul, I do pay out line on the back and forward strokes to extend the line length/distance. I am troubled that on the last forward stroke when I pay out line, at the end of the stroke when the lines lies straight on the water the line nearest the butt wraps/coils around the rod just in front of the cork grip for a distance of about 300 mm. The wrap is easily uncoiled but I am concerned if I have an instant strike the wrap will add too much friction and a bust off will result.

Has anyone had this problem/issue and worked out a solution?

I will add that I am right handed, and when the line wraps I have let it go with my left hand so it feeds freely. Could that cause the wrapping?

George

canuck

Re: Casting issues

Post by canuck » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:15 pm

Let the line slid between your fingers, don't let go. I form and O with my thumb and finger and let the line slid through, then you don't lose control of the line. I'm sure others will have some other ideas as well.

Hope this helps,

Canuck

Taieri George

Post by Taieri George » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:39 pm

Thanks. It is only a recent outcome from what I might admit is a bad habit. You may have picked up my fault of not holding or controlling the line on the last forward stroke. I think that may have crept into my casting due to holding my casting (right) arm to straight in a false attempt at higher casts go longer distances. With a straight casting arm higher than should be it becomes harder for your other arm to control the line or stay adjacent to rod or waist. I have had that clearly and strongly instructed out of me in the past. Bad habits creep back in quietly unseen it appears.

Thanks again.

George

albertaangler

Post by albertaangler » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:02 am

What canuck said.
The other thing with the 'O' is IF you realize you may have overshot the target you can pinch the line so as not to play out ALL the un-spooled line.
Practice, practice, practice.
If there is no fishing in Heaven, I'm not going........

Taieri George

Post by Taieri George » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:11 am

After 30 years of practice I am still getting better, but occasionally worse! :lol:

Thanks all for the advice.

George

albertaangler

Post by albertaangler » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:22 am

Yeah. Good friend has been practicing his tailing loops for 30 years. Finally has it perfected :) ;)
If there is no fishing in Heaven, I'm not going........

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:52 am

I'd suggest that you get some casting tuition. Not that I'd normally sugesed it for such a minor issue but getting someone who knows what they are doing to tutor you will make a huge difference to your casting. Everyone at all levels needs some form of tuition. I'm sure that will get rid of this minor problem as well as improving your general casting.

I got a few pointers from someone a while back and it's amazing how it's fixed so many years of bad habits that only get reinforced the longer you go without a guiding hand.

Ps. Learn to double haul. Will make a massive difernce to your casting. Not only for castigated distance you know?

kotuku71

Post by kotuku71 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:37 pm

The reason the line wraps is because the excess energy makes the line go up and down. The rod is above the the line during the forward stroke, so the line hits the rod and wraps. It also bounces against the rod between the other guides, thereby creating friction and reducing distance. The solution to both these issues where maximum distance is required, is to turn the rod with the wrist after the power stroke and during the follow through so that the guides are out to the side. In this move, the line would have to move to the left for right handed caster.....which of course it does not do....and neither does it slap the rod. Simply twist your wrist to the left after the power stroke and you get a nice clean delivery.