Looking for general advice

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
Snook1

Looking for general advice

Post by Snook1 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:39 am

Hi guys. My name is Mike and I was wondering if any of you don’t mind suggesting any fishing advice for end of May around Wanaka area. Am I understanding correctly that trout season ends May 31? Not looking for GPS coordinates just would like to wet a line while my wife is running me to death between all the attractions. Thank you in advance.

Andy W

Re: Looking for general advice

Post by Andy W » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:39 pm

Pretty much all year around Wanaka. Just check the regs but even the Lower Makarora is open all year.

Snook1

Post by Snook1 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:53 pm

Thank you for reply. I found some info about fishing lake itself . Would you recommend sinking tip with streamers? Btw not to be a free loader if anybody needs any info on fishing Florida on foot I would be happy to provide info. Any tips appreciate.

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:12 pm

If fishing any of the stream mouths start at the top of the water column with a sinking tip, and work downwards. I have been known to use DI3, DI5 and even down to a TS type line. I have used a DI3 around the lake edge away from the stream mouths in April/ May as well.

Don't discount regular nymphing in the lower rivers either - Makarora is suited to it and it works well as there are plenty of fish moving in to spawn at that time of the year. Its a long way away so hard to say where either of the large river mouths will be then, and what access will be like.

Last time I fished both river mouths in late autumn it was nothing stunning though :-( and going further afield proved to be a a better option.

Snook1

Post by Snook1 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:56 am

Andy thank you for tips. Do you use egg patterns for for fish getting ready to spawn? Any specific refs I should be aware of. I promise to handle all the fish carefully and release them:-) I get it you guys probably have a lots of people asking same questions so appreciate your time. I know hiring a guide would be easier but with words of famous fisherman : “ I don’t pay for guides and I don’t pay for sex. There are certain things in life a man should be able to get on his own”.😂

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:07 am

I generally match the hatch first and foremost, and then go to a searching pattern - and if that means using an egg pattern in the rivers or lakes then yes. Rainbows seem to like glo-bugs/ muppets/ egg flies/ booby flies.