Visiting for the first time and overwhelmed! Tekapo

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
clancy2302

Visiting for the first time and overwhelmed! Tekapo

Post by clancy2302 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:51 pm

Hi everyone,

I really love my fly fishing and have finally managed to book a trip over to the South Island with my partner. The trip is a holiday rather than a fishing trip however I have been given leave for the best part of a day while we stay at Lake Tekapo. I am so excited to try and catch a NZ trout!

Given I only have one day, Are there any recommendations around the region? I really want to experience dry or nymphing in the beautiful surrounds of the Lake Tekapo region, but the number of rivers are so overwhelming. I can see the Cass River, and possible Lake Alexandrina, and a few other smaller tributaries of Lake Tekapo itself.

I'm not concerned about chasing that trophy sized fish, anything over a pound and I'll be over the moon. I would love just a nice day of hiking and catching a few trout for my troubles with those epic mountains as backdrop. Not asking for any secret spot X's of course, but if there's one river or lake you would fish around this region I would love to be pointed in the right direction!

Thanks everyone,
Tom

Steve
Site Admin

Re: Visiting for the first time and overwhelmed! Tekapo

Post by Steve » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:46 pm

Tom, If you really want to have a good chance, suggest you hire yourself a guide for the day, - because they are out on the water every day they know were the fish are and the best place for the weather conditions on the day - If you're interested in that try Paul McLaughlan, he's a good guy, very experience and knows that area well

Good luck!

clancy2302

Post by clancy2302 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:21 pm

Thanks for the reply Steve, I'll have a look at a guide.

Cheers,
Tom

GANDONAS6850

Post by GANDONAS6850 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:05 pm

Hi

Your post interests me, on my first visit to NZ I stayed at Tekapo for three nights.
My partner too is a non fisher , I explored the area each day including those you mentioned and walked miles.
Best day entailed some nice walking and brilliant wee braided streams, should have spent longer but that is what happens when you get somewhere you dont know, had a lovely two pound fish on the first cast, one after that then nothing, it was lovely scenery and just great air ! If you message me direct I will point out the place.