Schedule and other tips

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
fakky

Schedule and other tips

Post by fakky » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:57 am

Hey Guys
Im a sandgroper (perth WA) from Perth living in Florida/USA last 9 years coming to visit the brotehrly nation in 2018 !! We have booked flights and our camper. I have a bunch of reading to still do and a bunch of questions but thought Id get started here. 3 weeks in JAN.

ROUGH INITIAL ITENARY

Dec 30 - Christchurch and pick up car around 1pm, drive to Blenheim (wineries and river)
Dec 31 - Blenheim wineries and Wairau River
Jan 1 & 2 - Picton and Marlborough Sound (Queen Charlotte Day Walk)
Jan 3 - Nelson and surrounding area
Jan 4 - Nelson fishing trip (PROBABLY LATITUDE GUIDING)
Jan 5 - Abel Tasman National Park
Jan 6 - Nelson Lakes National Park
Jan 7 - Punakaiki, Greymouth and Hokitika (to see kiwi birds)
Jan 8 - Franz Josef or Fox Glacier and Lake Matheson
Jan 9-13 - T Anau and Milford Sound (there are 3 tracks we can do and stay in DOC huts along the way!!)
Jan 14-15 - Fiordland National Park and Doubtful Sound
Jan 16 - Catlins
Jan 17 - Otago Peninsula
Jan 18-19 - Lake Tepako and Mt Cook
Jan 20 - Christchurch to fly home at 4pm

So some fishing and non fishing questions - feel free to jump on on any or all or PM me anything also.

Q 1) LOCAL Rugby. Were is the best place to catch a local game at that time of year.

Q 2) Anything missing in the list I DEFINITELY should add or include ? Mainly outdoors related. Or more specific (eg within Able Tasman park)

Q 3) Fishing - I plan to do a guided trip up in Nelson. Where else should I do one south.

Q4) Fishing - I would rather catch smaller/less fish but be away from people just soaking up the nature/scenery. I heard its busy this time of year - but if your prepared to walk - I assume its easy enough to get away - and tips on where is good generally or where to stay away from [crouds]?

Q5) Weather - I know you guys get some crazy changes in season - Was planning on just wearing shorts/long wool/poly underleggings for sun/sandflys and then dry packign a change of clothes (thermals, tracksuit pants , socks etc) and a jacket and raincoat. Enough to deal with the cold .... or plan on more ? I usually wetwade fish in shorts and sneakers in mountains of Wyoming - ice melt streams .... the water is freezing but generally less than 4 ft deep and you can dry out as the sun and weather in July is around 25degrees C or better.

Q6) Footwear in streams. Was planning on 2 pairs of Merrell hiking shoes (one wet and one dry) and just rotate. Or I might go boots just for the ankle support. Im assuming as not too slippery (true ?) dont need proper/true wading boots ..... just good regular hiking boots ?
eg
https://www.amazon.com/Nevados-Talus-Hi ... 2661618011

Havent done a LOT of fly fishing - we go out for redfish every now and then but there's a lot more blind casting ........ and when we go to wyoming - but its generally european nymph style with very aggressive 8-12" cuthroats. Amazingly beautiful though.

Thanks guys !!

fakky

Re: Schedule and other tips

Post by fakky » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:07 am

Updated Itenary as we narrow down.

Dec 30 - Christchurch and pick up car around 1pm, drive to Blenheim (wineries and river)
Dec 31 - Blenheim wineries
Jan 1-3 - Picton, Marlborough Sound (Queen Charlotte Day Walk), Nelson Lakes National Park, Nelson wineries OR
Jan 1-3 Abel Tasman National park and Golden Bay area for hikes and fishing
Jan 4 - Nelson fishing trip
Jan 5-6 - St Arnaud, Nelson Lakes National Park, Buller River (Waitahu and Ohikanui rivers also in area)
Jan 7-8 - Hokitka and La Fontaine River
Jan 9 - Franz Josef or Fox Glacier and Lake Matheson
Jan 10-17 - T Anau, Milford Sound, Queenstown, Eglinton, Mataura and Oreti Rivers, Fiordland National Park and Doubtful Sound

Common fellas :)

sldrose

Post by sldrose » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:33 am

Hi Fakky,
I'm a fellow Aussie living in North America.

Wet wading with thermals will be fine, you'll have to tough it out Dec/Jan.
The water will still be cold though. I usually bring waders and use them when it's really cold.
Again, if you don't have them already, you tough it out.

Can't comment on the merrels as a wading boot and if they'll give you enough grip.
Just be sure to soak em in detergent between rivers to prevent didymo spreading.
A dedicated wading boot would be better, just make sure it's not felt as NZ has a felt ban.

If you don't have John Kents South Island Guide, pick it up.
I'm guessing you do, as you have already named your rivers. (id take kents recommendation over NZfishings)
Also download maptoaster for NZ topo maps for iPhone.

Schedules are great, but be prepared to compromise around the weather if you really want to fish.
I've found that when I've toured with family, there hasn't been much fishing.
Heavy Rain one day, might blow out the river for 3, so be prepared to switch out your itinerary.

NZ is about sight fishing, so hone your polaroiding.
Unless you are already good at it, I'd suggest going to southland and Mataura tribs.
These are easier rivers to "learn" to spot fish, with a good head of smaller fish, than some of the bigger wilder rivers.
My 2cents, maybe someone can point you to an easy river in the North that is equally good to learn to sight fish on.
I'd say the westcoast and Nelson rivers are a harder place to start, unless you go guided straight away and they can set you right.

hope that helps. PM me if you need anything else.

I've done four trips to the South Island and it keeps kicking my butt. (mostly the weather)
But that discovery is part of the adventure!!

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:37 am

fakky wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:57 am
Hey Guys
Im a sandgroper (perth WA) from Perth living in Florida/USA last 9 years coming to visit the brotehrly nation in 2018 !! We have booked flights and our camper. I have a bunch of reading to still do and a bunch of questions but thought Id get started here. 3 weeks in JAN.

ROUGH INITIAL ITENARY

Dec 31 - Blenheim wineries and Wairau River
Jan 1 & 2 - Picton and Marlborough Sound (Queen Charlotte Day Walk)
Jan 3 - Nelson and surrounding area
Jan 4 - Nelson fishing trip (PROBABLY LATITUDE GUIDING)
Jan 5 - Abel Tasman National Park
Jan 6 - Nelson Lakes National Park
Jan 7 - Punakaiki, Greymouth and Hokitika (to see kiwi birds)
Jan 8 - Franz Josef or Fox Glacier and Lake Matheson
Jan 9-13 - T Anau and Milford Sound (there are 3 tracks we can do and stay in DOC huts along the way!!)
Jan 14-15 - Fiordland National Park and Doubtful Sound
Jan 16 - Catlins
Jan 17 - Otago Peninsula

So some fishing and non fishing questions - feel free to jump on on any or all or PM me anything also.

Q 1) LOCAL Rugby. Were is the best place to catch a local game at that time of year.

SNIP!

Thanks guys !!
The only chance that you may have to see some footie is if the Crusaders may have an away training session at either Lansdown or Trafalger parks (Blenheim/ Nelson) on the weekend of the 20th as part of their contribution to their Youth Development squads. Generally - its the third weekend that such activities occur though, about when most families have got through holidays and the older kids are available for a week away again before school starts.

Never mind - you can go fishing or cruising the wineries and craft breweries instead!