Wet wading

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
Boisker

Wet wading

Post by Boisker » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:03 am

Not something I really do in the UK..
So potentially my last 'dumb' question :D

I've got neoprene guards/socks for my wading boots but what are the most comfortable socks to wear with them... is it best to go with a more natural material like merino wool base or with elastane/polypropelene fibre type sock..

Cheers

Erik Moller

Re: Wet wading

Post by Erik Moller » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:53 am

Thin liner socks have worked fine for me.
Some smooth fabric anyway, to avoid blisters and rashes.
Never felt temperature was a problem, the neo's work like a wet suit.

It's the way to go in warm weather, I think.
Except on still waters when you are in the water for a long time, your legs get cold and waders are preferable.
Also if you're out in cool rainy stuff.

Cheers,
Erik

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:58 pm

Yea I go with thin liner socks or a pair of spare business socks at a pinch. Got Simm's specific ones, but to be honest the Kathmandu merino liner socks I bought years ago do the same job and seem to last forever. Just something thin will do, but make sure to change/wash them regularly or else your feet smell like a ripe cheese factory.

Something iv discovered recently is that washing the liner socks and insides of the neo socks in the river water as you leave the river seems to massively reduce the amount of pong as well. ;)

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Boisker

Post by Boisker » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:54 am

Cheers guys... I've bought some smartwool liner socks...
Good idea on the rinsing in the river Fraser... my better half won't thank me for four weeks in a campervan with stinking socks and feet :D
Although she could consider herself lucky that my waders are staying in the U.K....

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:52 am

Yes find a way of hanging you're socks outside the van to dry each night. Otherwise you could find your wife having grounds for divorce :lol:

Have a few pairs of socks on standby so you can put fresh liner socks on each day. Popping the ones you have worn into a disinfectant solution each evening should kill of any smelly stuff your feet produce.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!