Tying advice

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
Scozzie

Tying advice

Post by Scozzie » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:13 pm

Hi guys I know you've probably been asked plenty of times before but I'm a jock who lives on the Gold Coast planning a trip in feb to South Island for a few weeks looking for advice about venues and some flies to tie have booked digs at lake benmore so far then planning to head for queens town Otago Mackenzie region and maybe nelson area but if any good recommendations plans can be changed I prefer to fish lakes if I can but rivers don't bother me either have started tying a few flees blowflies cicadas beetles etc waiting on hooks for klinks what about some Scottish patterns dabblers sedgehogs etc would they work ? Any advice would be great fully received.

Lindeanfisher

Re: Tying advice

Post by Lindeanfisher » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:36 am

Hi Brian
Having fished some of NZ's pristine Lakes, I would certainly have some Sedgehogs, Kate Mclarens, G&H sedge (Orange body) Balloon Caddis, I have caught fish on all of these.
I am sure the forum members will guide you to the Lakes which are fishing well and of course have good access.
Enjoy - it is a tremendous place to fish.
Tight lines
Mike

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:56 am

How long is a piece of string? :D

At that time of the year from here in North Canterbury to certainly Wanaka, any of the following might be on the lake diners menu; caddis, damsels, midge, beetles, blow-fly, cicada’s, snails, water boatman and bullies.

So it’s a relatively easy fly box: Damsel nymph or anything resembling it including small olive woolly buggers, anything resembling a caddis nymph (including H&C and soft hackle), midge, snails (black and peacock), water boatman and something bully like.

For dries you have already got beetles, humpies and cicadas, so add caddis for early - mid morning and then after dark as well.

Others will chip in with their “must haves”.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:10 am

My advice, would be focus on your casting skill and don't get too worried about carrying 10,000 flys. 90% of it is presentation, not fly selection down here. 5 Flys to have are:-

Woolly bugger / damsel nymph
PTN
Hare's Ear
Elk Hair caddis
Blowfly Humpy
Adams

If your not getting takes then your not presenting well. Either you haven't got the fly down to the fish (nymphs) or you have drag (dry) that is causing the fish to be suspicious. No matter how good your casting is, go get a bit of instruction on your casting from a qualified instructor. That will make the biggest difference in your ability to catch here.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:44 pm

Hi SCOZZIE - GREAT NAME FOR AN AUSSIE -JOCK . FOR A PREDOMINITELY LAKE FISHERMAN YOUR COMING AT THE PERFECT TIME OF YEAR . THE OTAGO HIGH COUNTRY TUSSOCK LAKES ARE FAIR POPPING IN FEB . CICADAS GALORE ON A GOOD SEASON . LAST YEAR WAS AVERAGE AND THERE WERE STILL A LOT OF FISH FEEDING . THEY ARE REPUTED TO BE THE BEST EATING BROWNS IN NZ - THEY FEED ON KOURA (aussies call them yabbies) AS WELL AS ALL TYPES OF SMALL FISH AND FLIES (top & bottom). LINDEANFISHER HAS GIVEN YOU GOOD ADVISE . HE'S BURGLED MANY OF OUR TROUT :lol: .

SOME OF THE LAKES ARE RAINBOW AND OTHERS BROWNIES . BOOK YOURSELF A COUPLE OF DAYS IN ROXBURGH AND YOU SHOULD HAVE A BALL .
YOU'LL NEED A 4WD TO BE SAFE .
SEND ME A PM IF NEEDS BE ........ Al

Scozzie

Post by Scozzie » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:51 pm

Thanks guys for all the advice fly suggestions are close to what I was thinking just need to get some more digs booked difficult as my missus is going as well and she doesn't fish but don't want to be driving for hours to get the the fishing many more hours on the net I think just returned from Scotland coldest august in 30 years had a ball in Caithness Sutherland and mull fishing was great although fish not as big as nz but as the ladies say size isnt everything most of the time I just like to go wandering a fish would be a bonus