Bucket list check number 1.....

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
badpaddler

Re: Bucket list check number 1.....

Post by badpaddler » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:26 am

I was going to bring them still new with me. What do you recommend for boots/ socks? I have been looking at some intruders or maybe simms rip raps with a set of liners. Are neoprene socks a must? I don't own any felts as they are banned over here as well. Someone took elodea from a fishtank and dumped it in a river up here. You can imagine how that turned out...... :-/

badpaddler

Post by badpaddler » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:27 am

What about nets? Are there restrictions for those as well? Should I strike while the iron is hot and I have a reason to buy a new rubber one?

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:45 am

Yep, you have the right idea. Neoprene socks and your regular wadding boots are the go. Make sure you get ones with built in gravel guards as our rivers have lots of fine gravel that soon finds its way inside your boot and is not only annoying it wears your boots out from the inside. Id go with the Simms Guard sock as its got the built in gravel guard and they last incredible well.

A tip is iv found since I have really pongy feet is to always wear thin socks under my wadding socks and to wash the lot out in the river as you take them off. Seem that the bacteria that make the stink thrive in the warm wet conditions if socks are left as they are after you take them off. Iv stunk out more than a few cars in years past by just ripping them of and dumping them in the back of the truck.

No, no restrictions on landing nets. The McLeans nets are made here in NZ and are one of the best iv ever found. Might work out cheaper to buy one here than in Alaska? I fish with an XL weighnet with the black micromesh net. I find that a fantastic net both for the fish and for me.

Steve who runs this forum stocks a great range and im sure can organise for the net to be waiting for you at the first accommodation your staying at?

http://www.flyshop.co.nz/category/Nets.html

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!