Schedule and other tips

The place for all your fishing and travel queries
fakky

Schedule and other tips

Post by fakky » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:57 am

Hey Guys
Im a sandgroper (perth WA) from Perth living in Florida/USA last 9 years coming to visit the brotehrly nation in 2018 !! We have booked flights and our camper. I have a bunch of reading to still do and a bunch of questions but thought Id get started here. 3 weeks in JAN.

ROUGH INITIAL ITENARY

Dec 30 - Christchurch and pick up car around 1pm, drive to Blenheim (wineries and river)
Dec 31 - Blenheim wineries and Wairau River
Jan 1 & 2 - Picton and Marlborough Sound (Queen Charlotte Day Walk)
Jan 3 - Nelson and surrounding area
Jan 4 - Nelson fishing trip (PROBABLY LATITUDE GUIDING)
Jan 5 - Abel Tasman National Park
Jan 6 - Nelson Lakes National Park
Jan 7 - Punakaiki, Greymouth and Hokitika (to see kiwi birds)
Jan 8 - Franz Josef or Fox Glacier and Lake Matheson
Jan 9-13 - T Anau and Milford Sound (there are 3 tracks we can do and stay in DOC huts along the way!!)
Jan 14-15 - Fiordland National Park and Doubtful Sound
Jan 16 - Catlins
Jan 17 - Otago Peninsula
Jan 18-19 - Lake Tepako and Mt Cook
Jan 20 - Christchurch to fly home at 4pm

So some fishing and non fishing questions - feel free to jump on on any or all or PM me anything also.

Q 1) LOCAL Rugby. Were is the best place to catch a local game at that time of year.

Q 2) Anything missing in the list I DEFINITELY should add or include ? Mainly outdoors related. Or more specific (eg within Able Tasman park)

Q 3) Fishing - I plan to do a guided trip up in Nelson. Where else should I do one south.

Q4) Fishing - I would rather catch smaller/less fish but be away from people just soaking up the nature/scenery. I heard its busy this time of year - but if your prepared to walk - I assume its easy enough to get away - and tips on where is good generally or where to stay away from [crouds]?

Q5) Weather - I know you guys get some crazy changes in season - Was planning on just wearing shorts/long wool/poly underleggings for sun/sandflys and then dry packign a change of clothes (thermals, tracksuit pants , socks etc) and a jacket and raincoat. Enough to deal with the cold .... or plan on more ? I usually wetwade fish in shorts and sneakers in mountains of Wyoming - ice melt streams .... the water is freezing but generally less than 4 ft deep and you can dry out as the sun and weather in July is around 25degrees C or better.

Q6) Footwear in streams. Was planning on 2 pairs of Merrell hiking shoes (one wet and one dry) and just rotate. Or I might go boots just for the ankle support. Im assuming as not too slippery (true ?) dont need proper/true wading boots ..... just good regular hiking boots ?
eg
https://www.amazon.com/Nevados-Talus-Hi ... 2661618011

Havent done a LOT of fly fishing - we go out for redfish every now and then but there's a lot more blind casting ........ and when we go to wyoming - but its generally european nymph style with very aggressive 8-12" cuthroats. Amazingly beautiful though.

Thanks guys !!

fakky

Re: Schedule and other tips

Post by fakky » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:07 am

Updated Itenary as we narrow down.

Dec 30 - Christchurch and pick up car around 1pm, drive to Blenheim (wineries and river)
Dec 31 - Blenheim wineries
Jan 1-3 - Picton, Marlborough Sound (Queen Charlotte Day Walk), Nelson Lakes National Park, Nelson wineries OR
Jan 1-3 Abel Tasman National park and Golden Bay area for hikes and fishing
Jan 4 - Nelson fishing trip
Jan 5-6 - St Arnaud, Nelson Lakes National Park, Buller River (Waitahu and Ohikanui rivers also in area)
Jan 7-8 - Hokitka and La Fontaine River
Jan 9 - Franz Josef or Fox Glacier and Lake Matheson
Jan 10-17 - T Anau, Milford Sound, Queenstown, Eglinton, Mataura and Oreti Rivers, Fiordland National Park and Doubtful Sound
Jan 18-19 - Lake Tepako and Mt Cook
Jan 20 - Christchurch to fly home at 4pm

Common fellas :)