Fishing Otamangakau - Foot access?

The fabled waters...info and reports here
Nztayls

Fishing Otamangakau - Foot access?

Post by Nztayls » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:58 am

Having spent many years fishing the Tongariro region, one place I have never really spent much time on is Lake O, which is something I want to change this season.

Problem is I don't have access to a boat meaning I would need to be fishing from the shore. So, I would appreciate any advice on there the best areas are for foot access, or is it really a case of having to use a boat to get around to areas of the shore that can be fished. I have tried walk around from the boat ramp a few summers ago, but spent most the afternoon wading through marshland - which was less than ideal.

Cheers!

Eric_the_king

Re: Fishing Otamangakau - Foot access?

Post by Eric_the_king » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:59 pm

The outlet canel is a pretty good spot. Park up at the boat ramp and go right a long the canal. It is a heavily weeded area though so you'll need to get a decent cast over the weed edge. Can get frustrating at times...especially if you lose a fish in the weed. I tend to go up a bit in leader strength to try and boss them out a bit. Also, need to take care as it's really swampy. I just take each step very carefully when wading out.

If you carry on up towards the main body of the lake you can fish on the flats.

Lastly, don't ignore fishing from the boat ramp. I remember one evening in late April I pretty much didn't leave the boat ramp all evening the fishing was so good.

I'm likely to be heading down there this weekend so will let you know how it goes.

cheers

Charlie

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:50 am

The inlet shore is good as well, also there are numerous access points along the Western arm you can drive down to for camping, this arm is a great spot to target cruising browns and the water is much deeper with no weedbed concerns. Be careful though, wading can kill you in this lake, I've been under before here, it's like quicksand and there are numerous holes in the weed and mud. If you get into strife, go onto your knees and knee shuffle your way out. It spreads the surface area for traction.

Fishing is definitely better shore based when the lake is low as opposed to high, which goes against instinct and what we are taught, the fish LOVE the exposed, defined weedbeds. The outlet is quite hard to fish on backcast for many, roll casting is a definite advantage along the tighter sections. You'll also need flow for success, if they are not releasing water, it's hard, and if it's flat calm... go play golf... crappier the day the better IMO.

Andrew

Eric_the_king

Post by Eric_the_king » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:02 pm

I did pop down to Turangi the weekend just gone by. I went up to lake O Sunday lunch time. Despite the weather in town being ok, as soon as I got up to lake O it was blowing a gale and on off heavy rain. Typical lake O conditions. Anyway I parked up by the boat ramp of the outlet canal and walked up towards the main body of the lake. Fished for about an hour and had two bites. No hook ups. Very little surface movement. I decided to cut my losses and head back to the Tongariro. Might not get down to the lake now until the turn of the new year. Should be plenty more insect life by then as well.

On a side note…the Tongariro was fishing brilliantly. Plenty of hard fighting rainbows in the river. Not the biggest though.