Where/how to begin?

The fabled waters...info and reports here
Locket

Where/how to begin?

Post by Locket » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:45 am

Hi, my husband has always wanted to learn how to fly fish, so as a birthday present this year I would like to book a day of fishing for the both of us. However, i am a little surprised at how expensive it seems to be. We live in the waikato but I am looking at places in taupo. I was just wondering if $400 per person for a days guided fishing is reasonable or is this an inflated tourist price? Does anyone have any recommendations for two complete beginners that is a little more affordable?
Thanks,

Taieri George

Re: Where/how to begin?

Post by Taieri George » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:41 pm

I would call that reasonable. The value is determined by you at day's end. With a good guide you will get transport, food, advice, laughs, spotting, and have a very good chance of landing fish.

Being from down South I do not have any knowledge of guides up there.

And what a loving wife!!

George

upstream

Post by upstream » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:39 pm

Guiding rates are usually in the range of $650 to $850 per day for one of two anglers. So $800 is in the ballpark. You could probably get a rate in the lower part of the range by hiring a guide in Turangi just to fish the Tongariro (not far for him to drive you, so shorter day). Saying that, he will have his work cut out with teaching 2 beginners!

You might want to consider attending the next meeting of the Hamilton Anglers Club (last Monday night of the month). They have some support for newbies and do regular casting tuition.

RTJC

Post by RTJC » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:47 pm

Hi,
Awesome idea for a gift. I will be showing this to my better half.
I was at my local hunting and fishing store recently and noticed they are running beginner fly fishing evenings around the country. They will be aimed at selling no doubt, but could be a good place to start and get some advice.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:16 pm

Bloody hell, what a great wife? My wife usually just tells me to go to the tackle store and buy an item i want. Thats your birthday present :?

Pitty you aren't down in Queenstown? WE (The Wakatipu Anglers Club) run an annual fly fishing course that Steve (owner of this website) kindly supports. Nice one Steve ;)

Its a $150 course run over 4 nights covering everything from casting through to fly selection, hunting stalking etc.. We even take those keen out to a local lake for there first fly fish the weekend after the course. Great to see people catch there first fish on fly! :)

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:35 pm

Hi LOCKET ~ THIS IS A TOUGH ONE . I AM BASICALLY A SELF TAUGHT FLY ANGLER BUT THEN I HAD 50yrs EXPERIENCE THREADLINING (spin fishing) SO I KNEW HOW TO READ A RIVER / LAKE - TROUT BEHAVIOURS etc .
YOU DONT SAY WHETHER EITHER OF YOU HAS SIMILAR EXPERIENCE . ALSO YOU DONT MENTION WHETHER YOU HAVE FLY RODS - REEL - LINE -FLIES etc . MAYBE LEFT OR GIVEN TO YOU .
WITHOUT ANY OF THE ABOVE , A GOOD GUIDE IS GOING TO OFFER YOU AN EXCITING DAY WHICH MAY BE ENOUGH TO INSPIRE YOU BOTH TO STRUGGLE ON ALONE . PERSONALLY I THINK YOUR MONEY WILL BE BETTER SPENT ON BUYING GEAR AND GIVING THAT TO HUBBY ALONG WITH A PROMISSORY NOTE TO THE TYPE OF FLY FISHING COURSE THAT FRASER SUGGESTS . EVEN BUYING THAT GEAR IS DIFFICULT WITHOUT HIM GOING TO THE SHOP WITH YOU , SO IF SURPRISE IS AN IMPORTANT PART OF THE GIFT THEN A LITTLE PLANNING IS REQUIRED .

NOW THAT YOU ARE A MEMBER OF THIS FORUM KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON IT . ITS AMAZING WHAT YOU CAN LEARN FROM THIS LOT .
WE ARE AS POOR AS CHURCH MICE BUT I AM VERY FORTUNATE IN THAT MY LADY IS ALSO EXTREMELY SUPPORTIVE . YOU DONT NEED EXPENSIVE GEAR TO CATCH ON FLY .
GOOD LUCK WITH WHATEVER YOU DECIDE TO DO . I HOPE BOTH YOU AND HUBBY GET THE JOY OUT OF IT THAT WE DO .
Al.

ChromeChaser

Post by ChromeChaser » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:59 pm

I agree with Upstream. Have a look at the Hamilton Anglers club. They might have someone willing to show you for free. Fly Fisherman tend to be good people (haven't meet too many wankers yet) that would be more than happy to show you two the ropes for no more than a couple or beers. One of your mates is bound to know someone of someone that fly fishes, so ask around

That said, the money is well spent on a good guide. The advice they can give you is invaluable and its a whole day of learning. A good guide will walk you through everything, answer all your questions, and take their time to insure that you both are progressing comfortably during the day learning all the basics to get you going. They also have their own gear, so if you decide that fly fishing is not for you, you don't need to go through the horrible expense of buying gear :geek:

I recently went on a course for work, learnt nothing, and got stung with a $3500 bill. So, yeah. Its worth it