The fabled waters...info and reports here
kotuku71

Re: Best set up for Taupo - Tongariro

Post by kotuku71 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:10 am

Thanks Boisker, will try that knot.

SteveO

Post by SteveO » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:24 am

The penny knot looks very much like 16/20 favored by our own Clark Reid. check out u tube.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:21 am

Yes it does look like the 16/20 - its a good knot, need to go fishing more so I can use these things...

Boisker

Post by Boisker » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:30 am

Yeah.... Just googles the 16/20 and it's definitely the same knot.
I can't quite believe that even though I spend a fair amount of time googling fly fishing techniques/info I only came across the penny knot 2 weeks ago, since then I've found it under another name and now the 16/20 as well... I guess there are only so many knot variations and often they have been developed independently in different places (the grinder and uni being another example)...
Whatever it's called... A great knot... Off to look for some sea trout tomorrow evening, but we desparately need some rain, the rivers are on their bones in SW England at the moment

upstream

Post by upstream » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:35 am

Boisker wrote:Hey upstream...
Funny there's been a discussion running on what knot for droppers in the uk forum, most popular by far is the figure of 8 knot, which is also real easy. One of the regulars had also done a number of tests of different knots and it came out strongest-
http://dryflyexpert.blogspot.co.uk/2013 ... -knot.html
Real easy in poor light, I tend to use forceps / haemostats- once the loop is made, put the haemostats through the loop, two turns and then you can grab the tag ends with the haemostats and pull through the loop... I love easy and strong knots :D
Thanks Boisker, that looks easier than a surgeons knot.

upstream

Post by upstream » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:38 am

kotuku71 wrote:I use a surgeons knot at the dropper and the up-leader end (ie the bit from the terminus) to tie the flie. Keep the dropper short. about 12 cm. reduces tangles. The dropper knot is about 25 cm above the shot. A good way of making the end bunch (the "mess) to hold the shot is to first tie a figure of eight knot, pull it very tight, then cut of the loop. The shot now has the tag end and the line itself above "the mess" to grip.Do this before joining the two to make the dropper so the length is more easily judged.
Yup, understand. This could be a good option for the snaggier waters (Hinemaia and Waitahanui). It's so frustrating losing two flies and having to retie both every time you hit a snag.