Shaping up to be a good one

The fabled waters...info and reports here
ziffle

Re: Shaping up to be a good one

Post by ziffle » Thu May 29, 2014 2:33 pm

Hey Andrew, I noted in your video that you had a cool indicator tied on a length of braid or similar. I assume that is so it squashes up through the guides easily?

Where did you get those from (Steve?)

cheers
Mark

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Thu May 29, 2014 7:40 pm

Hi Mark, no just tied myself using backing Dacron - have not seen a shop that sells them like that? Has a few advantages, no clip to come undone / catch fibres and less bulk / weight. It also seems to 'flatten' when casting for me, some of the commercial yarn indicators are quite rigid, and air resistant IMO.

And yes, it allows the indicator to be wound through the guides, I like to fish up against banks and roll cast into water others don't fish, meaning there's virtually no room with a long leader to get a hooked fish near the net. So I wind it right through, if a fish makes a dash, it plays out, not smoothly, but have yet to break a tippet. The other indicator I was using was the large tube version from strikeindicator.co.nz. Cheers

ziffle

Post by ziffle » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:31 pm

Andrew I'd love to try that form of indicator, have you got a 'recipe with ingredients' you can share please?

cheers

fowang

Post by fowang » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:56 pm

Holy S****

Some cracking sport!

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:57 am

Hi Ziffle, no problem, just away at present and back next week so will try and get some instructions to tie them Thanks Fowang, when it's good, it's good up there, certainly breaks up the winter season blues. Andrew

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:17 pm

Just uploaded a brief clip on how to tie these indicators.

http://youtu.be/P5sHIJ7_kt4

Cheers, Andrew

garlech

Post by garlech » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:25 pm

Hi all

What are the general thought on the quality of the fishing on the Tongariro so far this year? I have just been reading Shane's report on http://taupofishing.co.nz and he is pretty damning on the quality of the runs this year.

Personally, I thought last year (around this time) was one of the best seasons I can remember, I was actually hopefully of continued improvement, but those of you who have recent experience will be the ones to know for sure.

cheers
Jason

Whio

Post by Whio » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:55 pm

I've enjoyed my few trips to the Tonga's this winter. Yet to be skunked this season. Fish quality has been good but the average size is definitely smaller. Numbers possibly down a bit too.

Nonetheless I'm looking forward to having another visit over Labour weekend. October usually fishes well and there's less pressure as a lot of folk head to the backcountry for the new season.

Some of my life I spend fly fishing, the rest I just waste!

francois2

Post by francois2 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:42 pm

I have religiously fished Turangi for the last 4 Winters, averaging 1 trip per month. This year was markedly different. It was much harder going to pick up fish. In previous years you'd have surges of fish stopping throughout the river, so you could fish virtually any section and pretty quickly locate fish. This year they seemed to go right through without stopping. I found one small section they'd hold. You could roll up, through in a glow bug and if you didn't have a fish on the first cast, you wouldn't hook up because there were no fish there. I'd come back a few times during the day to check if they were there. Once you had a take you could stand there for an hour and pick up a fish on every cast.

I spent some time on the Tongariro but had much better luck on the smaller Taupo tributaries.

Fish were definitely smaller. My average was only 1.4kg for the season. I didn't pick up anything over 2kgs.

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:29 am

Agree fish are smaller this year, however last year was great! Wandered up the TT on Friday and saw soooo many fish (not uncommon to see 30+ fish in a run) - most pre-occupied with spawning, however managed about a dozen on dry fly and nymph, but the size, again, was well down on last year, averaging around 2-3lbs! Will post up a video later this week. Still a lovely river to wander up - virtually nill pressure of late judging by the lack of footprints... the upper reachers are now open as of yesterday.

Andrew