Taupo- Indicators

The fabled waters...info and reports here
murfm

Taupo- Indicators

Post by murfm » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:05 pm

Hi
It seems illogical to me that indicators have to be yarn when in the Taupo fishing area when we can use foam indicator dry flies? Frankly I can not see a difference. :?:
Does anyone know if DOC have been approached re this?
Murf

Johnno

Re: Taupo- Indicators

Post by Johnno » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:12 pm

I stand corrected if wrong but: My understanding of why yarn only is that when the nymphing thing took off at Taupo on the rivers pple were using foam or other indicators the size of a small country and it was getting ridiculous. The indicators were so bouyant that fish would almost be hooking themselves. Thus yarn indicators became the only ones allowed for use.

As far as I am aware no one has ever really thought it a major issue and thus the status quo remains. It's no biggie really and there are more pressing things concerning the Taupo fishery than changing the allowable indicators.

murfm

Post by murfm » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:41 pm

Thanks Johno
I thought it might be something like that. Still seems weird that I could use a foam cicada the size of a small country and that would be legal?

cheers
Murf

Whio

Post by Whio » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:33 pm

Your explanation is close enough Johnno. No correction required :)

Some of my life I spend fly fishing, the rest I just waste!

Troon

Post by Troon » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:15 pm

I've just seen this post and thought I'd paste a reply from John Webb of DOC re dry/droppers I asked 2009. Hope it's useful.

"The manner of my response really relates to the express purpose for which you are tying the fly.

The Taupo fishing regulations clearly state that a strike indicator :

(a) means any synthetic or natural yarn and its means of attachment to the line or cast used by the person fishing as an aid to detect a strike; but
(b) does not include (i) Any other material or object attached to the line or cast; or (ii) Any synthetic or natural yarn to which has been added any material or chemical (other than colour dye or surfactant line floatant preparation)

However the definition of an artificial fly in the regulations states:

“Artificial fly includes any lure of feather, fur, wool or other material used in the making of artificial flies”.

In your circumstance it appears that you are tying the fly primarily to catch fish although at times it can also be useful as a strike indicator. This is legal and I have checked this with the Area Manager.

But be cautious. If it was the other way around and you were attaching great lumps of foam to act primarily as a strike indicator that occasionally catches fish, this would be illegal.

The true heart behind this message is we don’t want people using large amounts of foam, glass, plastic bubbles or other similar materials as indicators as they are “floats” and floats artificially set the hook via resistance on the strike, giving the angler an unfair advantage.

So therefore as long as your creation is sized and tied as a dry fly you are fine. The technique of using a dry fly as an indicator with nymph dropper(s) is tried and true and is great at covering all the bases for feeding trout.

Also note that your fly would count. That is, a maximum of 3 flies can be used on any one line at Taupo and this would count as one of them.

Sorry the answer was not more definitive, but I hope it gave good direction".

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:13 pm

I've seen the locals at the Tailrace using old 35mm film canisters with the lid on as indicators, dead drifting Smelt on 4/0 hooks!!!!... depending on "who you know" seems anything goes up there!

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:25 am

Isn't it crazy that the flyfishers are having strike indicators size regulated yet some are using bait with a float attached?

Sounds like someone needs to give F&G a call, so they can head down and offer infringement notices and confiscation of equipment to those that decide the rules don't apply to them? ;)

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Flogger

Post by Flogger » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:36 pm

Giving F&G a call isn't going to help - Taupo and surrounds fall under the auspices of DoC, and they seem to be a bit thin on the ground when it comes to policing the regulations. Things do seem to be improving in this regard, though.

kotuku71

Post by kotuku71 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:41 pm

:ugeek: Ive been been fishing the T. and TT etc for 30 yrs + and remember when the regulations were changed...mid 80s some time. For those that want the detail, back then, foam plastic etc were allowed, hook gape was pretty optional, and most importantly, weight could not be added to the line, i.e., no split shot. But it was easy to march up the bank and snagging the fish with flies weighting half a pound and a bright pink ping pong ball as a float ( guides with 2 or 3 clients who didn't have to cast were sometimes encountered). So they changed it...minimum hook gape (reducing foul hooking), no floats, BUT to compensate, weight could now be added to the line. Most folks don't know that main reason we fish those bloody awful bombs is because we were not allowed to add weight to the line. I chucked all mine out and now use shot exclusively with either a nymph or a glow bug. Less snags, less hooks in my cloths, less time at the bench and just as many fish. In fact, the best fisher I know of on the T and the TT river, does not even use an indicator at all.