Otamangakau

The fabled waters...info and reports here
Sober Jack

Otamangakau

Post by Sober Jack » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:52 pm

Planning to fish Otamangakau for the first time later this month. Is there anywhere you can camp near the lake, does anyone know?

Whio

Re: Otamangakau

Post by Whio » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:30 pm

I don't know if you're legally allowed to camp at the lake but this place is 5 mins down the road http://www.thp.co.nz/

Some of my life I spend fly fishing, the rest I just waste!

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:59 am

There's a ton of places to camp there and some well established sites. You can drive around the lake in 20mins on logging roads and most side roads lead to sites. You cannot camp at the boat ramp however. Its fairly busy with campers at present. Some great fish in the lake this season.

Andrew

Sober Jack

Post by Sober Jack » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:23 am

thanks guys. Exactly what I needed to know. Always love your videos Andrew. I'm a Canterbury boy and I usually do my fishing down there, but this summer being so rotten I've decided to make it a lower Nth Island summer instead. So your films have been a great encouragement. Can you tell me, at Otamangakau do the damselfly larvae go all season, or are they finished by now?

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:36 pm

Thanks mate, glad you enjoy them! No, the Damsels 'should' be full on mid Jan through to late March, but like the Cicada's... they are slow this year, they are just starting to ramp up at present now, combine a hot sunny day with some nice wind riffle and you'll have a ball, they are also taking dries quite well at present, sparse patterns working well. Was up there last weekend again and got some cracking condition fish that just go nuts!

Andrew

Sober Jack

Post by Sober Jack » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:46 pm

awesome - gotta get there! maybe the week after next.