GLO BUGS ??

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
TIDDLER

GLO BUGS ??

Post by TIDDLER » Wed May 09, 2018 1:41 pm

:idea: AS A MATTER OF INTEREST - HAS ANYONE TRIED GLO BUGS IN THE CLUTHA BETWEEN ROXBURGH DAM AND THE SEA DURING WINTER ?
IF SO DID YOU HAVE SUCCESS OR JUST GET YOURSELF FROZEN TO THE BONE ? :?:

fraser hocks

Re: GLO BUGS ??

Post by fraser hocks » Wed May 09, 2018 4:05 pm

yip, heaps of times. I'm often out there on the upper Clutha (Lake Wanaka to Lake Dunstan) swinging flys on the double hander right through winter. Fished in -10 and such, so know what real cold is hey? Yip egg flys work well. I'm often hitching one in behind a streamer. Generally tend to pick up smaller fish on it, but its all part of the fun. You never know when a monster might eat it hey?

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Wed May 09, 2018 7:19 pm

SOUNDS GOOD TO ME . I HATE EXERCISING FOR THE SAKE OF IT BUT THE "WHITE COATS" HAVE SAID "MOVE IT or ..... "
I KNOW A LOVELY POSSIE ON THE RIVER THAT CAN ONLY BE ACCESSED BY A REASONABLE WALK IN AND A STEEPER :( WALK OUT .
BUT AT LEAST THERE IS THE BONUS OF HAVING A CAST OR TWO .

TWO QUESTIONS .
1) ITS NOT AS THOUGH THE WATER IS VERY DEEP SO WILL THE STREAMER BE SUFFICIENT TO SINK THE GLOW BUG ? (strong current)
2) I COPIED THIS OFF THE OLD FORUM .... DO YOU RECKON HE'S ON THE MARK FOR THE CLUTHA ?
Posted by Guest on Jun. 10 2010,18:58
Chris,

I've fished a fair amount of glo bugs, mainly back in the US for steelhead and trout during the salmon spawn. While I won't claim to be an expert, I'll take a stab at answering your question regarding choosing glo bug color.

One aspect that I take into account is the time of season. If it's early during the spawn, the majority of the natural eggs in the water are still bright, so I'll start with a bright orange color. As it progresses later and later into the season, the natural eggs that have been around for a while progress to more of a pale color. I usually switch to a pale pink as the season progresses. Additionally, you can get away with a larger egg pattern earlier in the season.

Another aspect is the water color. When the water is high and off-color, I get the best results with a larger, brighter egg pattern. A lot of times I'll fish something with some flash in it when the water is dirty. In low, clear water, it's best to stick to more muted, natural colors (pale orange, yellow, or pink) in smaller sizes.

My two favorite colors for eggs are pale pink and oregon cheese, which is an orange/yellow combo. I almost always start with one of these colors and switch according to success (or lack thereof). Chartreuse is a great color for high/dirty water. When the fish are focused on eggs, I almost always run a two egg rig with two different color/size eggs.

I also rarely fish a classic glo bug pattern. I've found that their buoyancy and action in the water does a pretty poor job of mimicking natural eggs. Often, it doesn't matter. However, there are situations where it does make a difference (low/clear water, high fishing pressure, etc.). I favor a pattern with a small glass bead center and egg yarn spherical outer layer. It's tough to describe, but I could provide pictures if anyone is interested. This pattern tends to be a very good representation of natural eggs (darker center, more translucent out layer) and also doesn't have the buoyancy of a glo bug style egg in the water.

I got a little long winded there, but hopefully some of that is helpful.

Tim

THANK YOU ...... Al

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Thu May 10, 2018 10:43 am

Have to say its glow bug fishing, I dont get too technical what with colour shade and size of glowbug. Sure I try to match closely to what size and colour I might have seen if iv seen eggs in the water, but thats about it.

Generally im either fishing them behind a streamer (hardly a realistic presentation, but hey. It hedges your bets) so im going to be fishing with a sinking leader. With double hander fishing, your typically using sink leader length and weight to get the fly down to the depth you want to fish. Heavy weighted flys create all kinds of issues and present really poorly when swinging streamers so I hardly ever use them.

IF I'm nymphing with egg flys, then I use split shot or tungsten putty to adjust the depth Im fishing at. Personally I feel that too many people fish with very heavy weighted flys like these glow bugs with heavy weight in the middle. Sure it gets them down, but they sink like a stone and look anything but natural. Squeezing split shot on your tippet around 6" above the fly means that your fly gets down but wafts in the current far more naturally, therefore is a far more realistic presentation.

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Thu May 10, 2018 11:25 am

CHEERS FRASER - ALL GOOD HELPFUL INFO . IF YOU HEAR A HOLLOR AND A WHOOP OVER THIS WAY IN JUNE THEN YOU'LL KNOW MY WALK WAS NOT WASTED :P

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Thu May 10, 2018 12:42 pm

HEHEH glad to hear. If your going to nymph then pick yourself up some Thingamabooobers. Best indicator their is for deep water nymphing. Just watch out, iv had fish come up and try and eat them. Im guessing they think its an over sized floating egg??? :roll: