OTAGO LEADING THE WAY

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
TIDDLER

OTAGO LEADING THE WAY

Post by TIDDLER » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:41 am

Hi GUYS - THE FORUM HAS DEBATED THE 'GUIDE LICENSE' ISSUE ON A COUPLE OF OCCASIONS . PROS AND CONS ALIKE .
WELL IT LOOKS AS THOUGH IT MAY GO AHEAD WITH OTAGO LEADING THE WAY . HAVING SAID THAT I WOULDN'T HOLD YOUR BREATH IT WILL PROBABLY TAKE A YEAR OR TWO ? ....... have a read !

https://www.odt.co.nz/regions/central-o ... s-licensed

Dave

Re: OTAGO LEADING THE WAY

Post by Dave » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:12 pm

Tiddler I am not sure Otago is actually leading the way on this. Fish & Game New Zealand put a proposal to the Minister of Conservation for a guides licence earlier this year (may be it was last year) but it was turned down. The Minister asked for further justification to be submitted. While i support the guides licence I don't think it is going to achieve very much without further controls to go with it. Charging the guides a bit more is not going to reduce the numbers significantly and may make them think that they have more right to the river than they do now as they are paying extra. The one thing it may do is get rid of the Australian non-resident guides although all they will do is carry a rod so they can say they are just fishing companions, not guides. I think in the future we are going to need a lot more controls and this is going to be quite a challenge.
Dave

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:59 pm

I agree. The rogue overseas guide ( to be fair not all are Aussies) needs to be stamped on but the how's and when's need some thought. As does how it gets to be properly policed and by who. It all needs money and resources which for F and G is not in the greatest of supply.

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:34 am

and may make them think that they have more right to the river than they do now as they are paying extra.

YOU PROBABLY HAVE A POINT HERE DAVE . I HAVE A TENDENCY TO THINK THAT MOST PEOPLE WILL DO THE RIGHT THING (I'm old school)AND THEREFORE DONT FORESEE THOSE SORTS OF ISSUES ! :roll: BOTH YOU AND JOHNNO ARE RIGHT - A NEW LICENSE WILL REQUIRE MORE RULES AND REGULATIONS AND SOME SORT OF INSPECTORATE . I STILL THINK IT IS THE WAY TO GO . PERHAPS NOW IS THE TIME (change of govt) FOR F & G TO CHASE UP THE POWERS THAT BE AND CREATE OR AT LEAST FUND SUCH AN ENTITY .

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:56 pm

Think both the guides association and F&G had agreed on what should be in the license - and agree Tiddler, they should try again with the new minister, they might get a more favourable response, maggie was about as much use as nick smith

Brown Trout Stalker

Post by Brown Trout Stalker » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:15 pm

Tiddler
Otage aren't leading the way.
Fish and Game New Zealand are the ones that determine the proposal for a guide license.

Both Fish and Game NZ and The guide association have agreed on a fee but the ex-minster for Conservation, the Hon Maggie Barry knocked it back.

Mis-information can destroy objectives. :o

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

the_skunk_whisperer

Post by the_skunk_whisperer » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:59 pm

This is a little off topic but feel it is worth a mention. As I understand it the guides association want to eliminate the "part time" or "casual" guides who may not be operating with all the safety plans etc - fair enough. BUT as I have been told the pro guides cannot meet the demand for guides in peak season, and there lies the problem. When there is a demand that cannot be met by the pros the others will inevitably pick up the excess. Some overseas folk, some store workers trying to scrape a bit of cash.

I think it is a fundamental flaw right there, a massive amount of work for two months a year and expecting full time guides to do it all. And with all the overheads it is not profitable to be a full time guide and work two months a year. Maybe I could have worded this better but I hope you can all understand what I am getting at.

Bet a few of the pros are wishing they could spawn multiple copies of themselves in Jan/Feb like Agent Smith of The Matrix :lol:

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:51 pm

Yea that idea sucks if you ask me. As someone who is considering a sideways step to retirement by doing some guiding on the side I feel this is the wrong attitude. I know quite a few guides that can't cover all the client requests at peak season and need a helping hand. Why is it that there is an assumption that a part time guide will be less organized / safe than a pro one? Surely that comes down to the individual?

I know a few pro guides that have done silly things that I'd never do with a client. Yet this seems to suggest the guides association think that because I don't guide full time, I'm an incompetent idiot?

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!