COMING TO A RIVER NEAR YOU !

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
tiggs

COMING TO A RIVER NEAR YOU !

Post by tiggs » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:41 pm

We have just returned from UK and I have now fished a number of streams across England and Scotland over period of years. Where rivers have been fenced to protect banks and reduce pollutants reaching the rivers, the banks of most rivers are now invaded by Himalayan Balsam weed, except where steps have been taken to eliminate it. It covers road sides across Britain, rail embankments and to my surprise, is even over the heather covered hills in Scotland. This weed has no boundaries!

Himalayan Balsam is a very pretty annual weed growing aboout 2 metres high with pink flowers, it covers waste ground and removes competition by smothering smaller plants. As it dies down over winter, it leaves the soils bare which wash into the rivers. On some rivers, anglers are not allowed to fish until they have pulled fifty plants.

So why my concern? I noted last year a number of plants on the banks of the Tahanaatra river near Rotorua. I reported this to the local council who passed me on to the Waikato council as it was in their area. They informed me that although it was a notifiable plant, it was not noxious and there was no onus on landowners to remove it even if it was recognised. It appears to be spread by water and probably birds but the initial infestation had escaped from a flower garden.

Now think, this will spread down this river into the Waikato system. As well as fenced banks, shingle and braided riverbeds will be a haven for it. Forestry, where there is waste ground, will be covered just as it is in parts of UK. If it does gain a foothold, gorse and blackberry will be a minor problem as you will be cutting your way through balsam to find the water.

I am not sure what to do next. For it to become a noxious weed, requires it reach pest proportions but by that time, the battle will already be lost.

Pictures and description are on this link
www.weedbusters.org.nz/weed-information ... lifera/59/

Owen

Steve
Site Admin

Re: COMING TO A RIVER NEAR YOU !

Post by Steve » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:50 pm

Another invader to watch out for, it does look familiar, anyone else seen it?

Boisker

Post by Boisker » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:57 am

I’d urge you to remove it when possible and badger your respective councils/relevant organisations to remove balsam before it spreads and gets a proper hold.
It’s an absolute nightmare in the UK, the seeds explode from pods and disperse very quickly through a catchment. I’ve been involved in a number of catchment scale projects and the cost to remove it from the whole of England would be millions and would take years of concerted effort heading down from the headwaters of catchments... completely unfeasible.
As Tiggs says... it is a massive problem, causing huge erosion in winter and dumping sediment on redds.

A shame as it’s a stunning plant and very good for some insects, bees love it... but overall it’s a nasty invasive species, right up there with Japanese Knotweed.

JarAFly

Post by JarAFly » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:56 pm

Man, that definitely needs to be weeded out before it gets worst.