Fly Line to Leader Connections

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
Brown Trout Stalker

Re: Fly Line to Leader Connections

Post by Brown Trout Stalker » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:23 pm

Tapered leader is attached by a Blood knot.

Tippet via a surgeons knot.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:25 am

ziffle wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:44 pm
Fraser at your nail knot what weight of nylon do you tie on and how long is this normally. I'm guessing that if you change leaders then you cut at the bottom of this first section?
I use that superglue knot to tie the butt of the leader directly to the flyline. Sure it means that I have to chop an inch of flyline of when I swap leaders, but since I use tippet rings I only change leaders one or twice through a season. The flyline is usually shot after a three seasons so its not like im chopping my flyline down a lot over its life.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

ziffle

Post by ziffle » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:33 am

Fraser when you talked about a superglue connection I assumed you were applying glue over a knotted connection but I've just googled it and come up with this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjSxn0O9qAk where only glue and friction create the link.

Is this what you use cos I've got to say I like the look of it

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:30 am

Yip that's the one Mark. AS per the link I posted earlier. Super slim and neat. A lot stronger than you might think as well!

Give it a go, you wont be disappointed. The little tool that Steve sells makes it very easy and most importantly prevents you from accidentally stabbing yourself with the needle.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

ziffle

Post by ziffle » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:00 am

oh whoops, sorry Fraser I missed that earlier link. Tried it last night on a connection for a euro nymph outfit and it didn't work - I think the hole left by the needle was too large for the lighter weight mono but I can see easily how it would work with the butt end of a tapered leader. Nice

Erik Moller

Post by Erik Moller » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:56 am

I use a needle knot (though the fly line) to tie a tapered leader on. then I tie a tippet ring at the end. This also helps me not cut into yhe tapered leader when retying tippets. Works great for me.

Dave

Post by Dave » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:25 pm

Years ago I tried using a piece of braid over the end of the line with a plastic sleeve to hold it on (like the braided loops) and the tapered leader super glued into the braid. I didn't continue with it because I didn't trust the super glue. Maybe I should try it again on a line that doesn't have a built in loop.
Dave

ziffle

Post by ziffle » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:41 pm

The worst thing about the braided loops is the stiff plastic tube that goes over the top. What I did the other day (using Fraser's idea) is threaded about an inch of fly line inside the braided loop and then applied superglue to the whole area. It works a treat and holds like crazy.

arnold

Post by arnold » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:22 pm

I prefer a fly line to leader connection that allows for a convenient stream side leader change. Of course, as fly fisherman we have to find our own way. I recently produced a video that looks at the physics of conserving the cast energy in the connection between the fly line and leader. See Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqyaX1AZW00

Happy Fishing,

Arnold