Any luck?

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
WiscoNZ

Any luck?

Post by WiscoNZ » Fri May 11, 2018 2:15 pm

Went out last Monday on my favourite river that still has an all year stretch open, it was horrible fishing. Saw maybe 3 fish. Caught nothing. We're pretty sure they've all moved up by now. Just curious if anyone else out there is having luck on rivers still or should I just moved to lakes now?

Dave

Re: Any luck?

Post by Dave » Sat May 12, 2018 9:49 am

Was out on Wednesday on the Mataura (still open below Gore) and there was an afternoon rise. They were only small fish with the biggest landed being 1 1.2 lbs. Will be out again tomorrow.
Dave

WiscoNZ

Post by WiscoNZ » Sat May 12, 2018 1:19 pm

Dave wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 9:49 am
Was out on Wednesday on the Mataura (still open below Gore) and there was an afternoon rise. They were only small fish with the biggest landed being 1 1.2 lbs. Will be out again tomorrow.
Dave
Thats pretty deep south, do they move up earlier in the season there? What you're usual average on that river?

Dave

Post by Dave » Mon May 14, 2018 10:37 am

I have hardly fished the Mataura since the end of January as it has been pretty high and carrying a bit of colour most of the time. Also I don't normally fish this low down, mainly when the rest of the river is closed so I don't really have an average available. The fish I caught are probably too young (and too small) to spawn.
I may head up country tomorrow to a lake tributary to see if I can catch some browns moving up or some resident rainbows. Hopefully I will find some better sized fish there.
Dave