Fly Line to Leader Connections

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
arnold

Fly Line to Leader Connections

Post by arnold » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:16 am

The link below will take you to a web page with a very good technical review of the most common fly line to leader connection methods. This was written by a former New Zealand fishing guide who now guides in Southeast Asia.

https://www.ng-river-guides.com/fishing ... nnections/

I recommend taking a look at it.

Arnold

fraser hocks

Re: Fly Line to Leader Connections

Post by fraser hocks » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:58 am

Not bad, but doesn't cover the connection I use the most, which is the superglue knot. By far the slimmest of all, best energy transfer etc.. Only downside is lack of ability to swap leaders streamside.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Dave

Post by Dave » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:18 am

Fraser tell us more.
Dave

Maniototoflyfisher

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:14 pm

Yes Fraser - tell us the details. I use a sewing needle to pull the leader through the end of the fly line with a uniknot to hold it there. With pliers/needle it's easy enough to do stream side but not as quick as if flyline/leader has loops.
David

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:38 am

Yea I used a pretty similar method. A guy has put a video up on YouTube that gives you the basics. I tend to finish of with a whip finish on top of what he did here, but that's just because im a fussy bugger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjSxn0O9qAk

C&F and a few others make a tool for the job, but in my opinion, by far the best is the Tiemco one that Steve stocks.

http://www.flyshop.co.nz/product/tmc_le ... licer.html

Greatest thing about this method is that the transition between flyline and leader is completely seamless, so that when landing a fish you can pull the leader through the tippet ring with no issues. In fact you cant even feel it.

I use this method on 3-5# lines, but on the 6# (which hardly sees the light of day) I still use a loop to loop connection because if iv pulled this rod out I'm likely to swap leaders regularly on the water with sink tips, poly leaders etc.. Basically if I'm using the 6# its for heavy deep nymphing or streamer fishing.

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:41 am

Anything but those huge, bulky braided loops, fish see them coming from a mile away! I whip my own loops, but make them tiny, way smaller than the factory welded loops and a (non-improved) clinch with minimal turns (5) and super-glued - almost as thin in profile as a nail knot but changeable on-stream.

Used to use those plastic leader joiners when I started fly fishing they were actually really good! But had a few pull on fish and snags so lost faith a little on them but the concept was great.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:28 am

Oh yea, whipped a few loops in the ends of fly lines myself as well. But that's par for the course as soon as you start spey fishing. Iv found a bit of the old UV glue good on the whipping Andrew. Builds up a bit and makes for a slicker finish, so it goes through the runners easier.

ziffle

Post by ziffle » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:44 pm

Fraser at your nail knot what weight of nylon do you tie on and how long is this normally. I'm guessing that if you change leaders then you cut at the bottom of this first section?

Brown Trout Stalker

Post by Brown Trout Stalker » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:06 pm

Ziffle

I use 30lb weight nylon which is attached by a nail know that is first threaded through the fly line, then the nail knot tied.

The lenght of the 30 lb is about a foot and then attached to a 13.5 foot 10lb tapered leader followed by 3 feet of 6 lb and then 3 feet of 4lb as my tippet.

By using this method i am not eating into the Tapered leader when changing tippets and not eating into the fluy line then changing the tapered leader.

I've been using this method for 30 years now. Any fly lines i buy with a loop i just cut them off.

tight lines

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

ziffle

Post by ziffle » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:49 pm

And do you attach the tapered leader via loops or blood knot etc