Mr Hawk!

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
Steve
Site Admin

Mr Hawk!

Post by Steve » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:44 pm

Unfortunately for Mr Hawk he had a brush with our car's bonnet, needless to say he came off a little worse for wear... Knowing he was in for a miserable time if we didn't try to rescue him we did just that, armed with a trusty fishing net attached to a broom handle for some extra reach...

Took him over to the good guys at Oxford Bird Rescue to see if they could save him, then about three to four weeks later;

ImageImage

Off he goes... back home... to be greeted pretty quickly by the local magpie contingent, which he suitably evaded proving he had indeed recovered! Good luck Mr Hawk!

Johnno

Re: Mr Hawk!

Post by Johnno » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:19 pm

Nice work!!!

There's one flying around here in Riwaka most days

Lazily circling looking for mice and kittens......

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:42 pm

Good stuff Steve. I had one try and attack my drone yesterday! Repeatedly swooped on it, got bloody close... of course I had forgotten to hit record... they give a nasty bite, found on sick on the West Coast at the end of the season, won't be getting that close again!!

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:01 am

Very cool stuff Steve. I'm lucky enough to have a Karearea come past my desk window most days. I live overlooking as section of the Shotover river gorge and my desk window looks out that way. If im not too busy with work il often spot him searching for fresh prey.

God im lucky hey? Although I think the pair of bell birds that live in the kowhai out the front of my place probably think otherwise at the same time of the day? :?

Actually last summer I was attached by a pair. There was a pair mating near the banks of the RouteBurn. I heard them screeching and swooping as we walked down stream to fish, but didnt think they would come that close...... Then BANG and im on the ground. One came in at full speed making fists with its feet and punched me in the back of the head. Think it was more the shock that knocked me to the ground but still surprising. I contacted DOC and they put up signs as it was very close to a DOC camp ground.

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:14 am

YOU LUCKY SOD FRASER - OBSERVING FALCONS ON A REGULAR BASIS - THATS SPECIAL !
WE ALSO HAVE RESIDENT BELL BIRDS . LOTS OF HAWKS AROUND HOME LATELY . I LOVE IT DURING THE SPRING WHEN THEY AND THE MAGPIES DO THEIR AERIAL BATTLES OVERHEAD. THE HAWKS ARE VERY PATIENT - JUST WARNING THE MAGPIES BUT WHEN HIS PATIENCE RUNS OUT , HE CERTAINLY DEALS TO THEM .
I'M OLD ENOUGH TO REMEMBER THE DAYS WHEN HAWKS WERE SHOT WITHOUT MERCY IN RURAL AREAS . THANK GOD THIS WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE NOWDAYS .
GOOD ONE STEVE . MR HAWK WILL BRING YOU A DEAD MOUSE :D

Jaapie

Post by Jaapie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:20 pm

Well done Steve.

Very cool mate - they certainly are majestic creatures.

upstream

Post by upstream » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:21 pm

Good job Steve.

Maniototoflyfisher

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:09 am

A few years ago I had a tourist in a camper van drop a injured hawk in to the Clinic. It had hit the wing mirror when he was driving to Naseby ( reason I toot the horn when I approach them eating a rabbit on the road) He had crawled through the fence to help it, managed to catch it by the wings - but while he was getting back through the fence he allowed it to get too close to his face! It got it talons in to the side of his cheek with one talon in the lower eyelid. Being on his own he struggled to remove all the talons at the same time! As soon as he removed one and went to another the first dug in again. The PAIN. Stay away from the claws and beak.

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:48 pm

Stay away from the claws and beak.
BEST EXAMPLE OF UNDERSTATEMENT I'VE SEEN FOR A WHILE . THAT TOURIST DESERVES A MEDAL . MFF THATS A NICE STORY :!:

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:35 pm

Yes the talons are pretty mean, this chap grabbed the net with his, a vice like grip, can imagine how hard it would be to disengage from your face - don't want to go there..