Jaapie's caddis

A "brag" section to show off your lastest creations;
Southshore

Jaapie's caddis

Post by Southshore » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:10 pm

Followed up on contributor Jaapie's suggestion about using waxed rigging thread, as used on game fishing boats for sewing up baits etc, for caddis bodies. Obtained some #4 thread from a local fishing supplier and tied up a couple. I like the waxiness of the material which looks strong enough to tow a 777 off the tarmac and any trout that bites into these bodies is going to get a permanent waxy grin and gum clean. Colour is good, a kind of light honey. Tie is a simple one; a bead, a wind of thread, a black rabbit fur collar. The larger of the two in the photo was given a very light hare fur dubbing and both had a swim before having their mug shots. Thanks Jaapie.

Jaapie

Re: Jaapie's caddis

Post by Jaapie » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:04 pm

Hi mate,

Those look great.

I'm in Napier at the moment, but I will post up some of mine when I am back home.

One good trick I did learn from tying these things was to cut strips of the waxed thread.
Ideally what you want to do is separate a single thick piece of the thread into 2 and if possible even 3 pieces so that it is very thin and then build the body.

I have found by using the thick pieces as a single strand that the thread tends to lose its shape and unravel to a big tangle after a fish or two. It also helps to taper the shape better - you start thin and build the thorax area up a bit, and this definitely makes a difference.

The bit of rabbit you have used does make it look great though.

Nice job brother.

Southshore

Post by Southshore » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:51 pm

Cheers. I've thinned it down in subsequent ties. Found that if you fingernail scrape a strip and then roll it between thumb and forefinger into a tube shape, it wraps well on smaller hooks. They'll get better as I get used to the material. I do like the waxy finish which looks good when wet.

Jaapie

Post by Jaapie » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:11 pm

Righto, back into the madness they call Sydney!

Here are a couple of patterns that I have tied up using the waxed thread.
The caddis patterns work very well and the grass grub pattern has been very effective too.

For the smaller flies, it really helps if you start using thin pieces and bulk up the body to form that carrot type taper.

I have also experimented with using nail varnish over the fly body to mimic the sheen of the caddis case, and this comes out brilliantly.
Another trick with the tacky wax, you can also roll the body into a bit of rabbit fur or any fine dubbing to give it that detritus casing look (scruffy).

Hope this bit of info helps.
Good luck and happy tying.

Southshore

Post by Southshore » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:01 am

Nice looking flies. Given me some ideas with rolling the body into fur which should make an interesting version of the shark caddis system. Once the festive season is over I'll tie up some more. Long live grubs !