Blowfly

Anything to do with flies and fly tying
Boisker

Blowfly

Post by Boisker » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:24 am

Not a pattern I've ever tied or used in th UK.
Was going to try a humpy style but no black deer hair, so went with a foam back...
first attempt-
Size 12, the Antron post is a bit too far forward but is the style ok?..... feel free to rip it apart :D
What sizes are most useful.... 12,14,16?

Dave

Re: Blowfly

Post by Dave » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:46 am

Boisker, looks good to me, but it is the trout that make the final decision. I wouldn't go any smaller than 12 as these things are quite big. I would even consider a 10.
Dave

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:00 pm

Try metallic green bodies as well.. even deep metallic purple... 8-)

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:19 am

Nice work for a first attempt Matt! Hell iv given up and just buy them now :cry: .

Iv found that the humpy style floats a lot higher and therefore is easier to see, so if you can tie some of those up. Oh yea and peacock / metallic green is also a great colour. You will find that in the middle of summer a box full of those is about all you need on a back country river.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Boisker

Post by Boisker » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:26 am

Cheers all...
I'm at an eve fishing meeting end of the week so can pick up some black deer hair then... it would have been easier to buy flies when I got to NZ... but it helps pass away the winter evenings, not too mention it saves my wife fainting when she saw how much I would have spent on first arrival in NZ :D
I'll still pick up some flies that take my fancy on arrival.. partic a few streamers, cicada and some odds and sods...
... saying that, I'm out with Chris D shortly after arriving so I may yet still be found purchasing a shed load of flies if his assessment of my tying skills goes badly :D