Some old Salmon Flies

Anything to do with flies and fly tying
Johnno

Some old Salmon Flies

Post by Johnno » Sun May 22, 2016 10:17 am

Some interesting patterns here. You will note how some have quite a gap between the head and the fly. That was to accommodate the commonly used knot back in the day being a turle knot Usually reserved for up-eyed flies, it could (and was) used for down-eyed as well. There is also a good example of a gut - made eye..

Last edited by Johnno on Sun May 22, 2016 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johnno

Re: Some old Salmon Flies

Post by Johnno » Sun May 22, 2016 10:19 am

Rudy

Post by Rudy » Sun May 22, 2016 2:04 pm

Very interesting John. What size hooks do you think they approximate? I often see a lot of complicated ties these days on large hooks (#1, 1/0 and up) - makes it easier to tie, and looks better in a display box I guess.

These seem fishing flies... but still technically quite complicated

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Sun May 22, 2016 4:30 pm

Gidday Rudy

I'd say the hooks on most of them (these are but a few pics) are in the 1 to 6 range. This lot are 1 to 4. Yup the fishing flies aspect is pretty accurate. Made for fishing and not show. Be that as it may, they were a bit crushed; I spent a lot of time very carefully reconditioning them, and this is about as good as I can get them. Very delicate fibres made more delicate by age. Happily they are not faded too much and not ravaged by insects

AJS Reels

Post by AJS Reels » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:40 am

Nice collection of real flies, do you know where they were fished? Always nice to have the full history aspect. That pattern 3rd from the bottom would get some interest from Tongariro fish or any other big river worth swinging it through ;)
Thanks for posting them.