Articulated Creeper..

Step by Step and Pattern recipes etc Share them here
Johnno

Articulated Creeper..

Post by Johnno » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:27 pm

Like it's Stonefly cousin, a WIP. A few tweaks to test this season...

upstream

Re: Articulated Creeper..

Post by upstream » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Mmm, I'm still trying to perfect a creeper pattern.
That looks easy to tie.
Wiggle dubbing?

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:49 am

It's not a hard pattern. I don't believe in complicated. I tie it in a variety of weights, like its stone fly cousin. Both tied in a manner to be like the ITR stone; just a tumbling bit of food and looks the same no matter what angle or posture its in. So no wing cases or legs per se. The dubbing on this one is like Wiggle Dubbing, it's Peacock Plus from Doug Swisher, I use other dubbings as well of the appropriate colours.. Just use what you happy with!

Dave

Post by Dave » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:14 am

Johnno what is the hook arrangement?
Dave

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:09 pm

Next time I do some pics I'll take one of the naked setup and post. Prob this w/e

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:39 pm

Dave, Here y'are:

These are pretty good... I'm sure Steve can get them in for you from Hareline. This is the size you want for the artic's - 20mm I also use these for streamers as well.. You can get them bigger but I think they are just too long.

Open them up and slip the bead on.

Tie the rear portion fly BEFORE adding to the shank - its a whole lot easier. I've bare-hooked this just for clarity. Also use a nice open eyed hook. The Tiemco 911S is a good one for this as it's a wide open eye and allows the rear to swing around freely. The Black Magic equivalent is a lot smaller and not as free in the swing. I don't recommend them. The best size hook to use is around a 6. The 6 seems to be a balanced size for this shank for these types of flies I've found

Seal the shank with thread. I use GSP as its nice and strong to pull that gap tight. You can add lead on here too it you wanted. Then finish off the fly by wrapping up your shank with whatever you're going to use.

The possibilities are endless.

I've got some ideas going on.. working on a articulated dry hopper - weta at the moment ... and a mouse.... and a frog... 8-)

upstream

Post by upstream » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:03 am

Nice Johnno. I may have to get some of those articulated shanks.
Thanks for posting.

Dave

Post by Dave » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:53 am

Johnno, Thanks for that.
Dave

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:50 pm

I've tried a few different things but have settled on the combo as I described above. Size 6 T911S hook and the pictured size shank.

As I said, the T911S has a nice big eye and swings freely. Seems the best book thus far. There may be others out there with a nice big eye as well.