Label peeling Help!!

Fly Rod building tips, comments etc
Johnno

Label peeling Help!!

Post by Johnno » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:01 pm

Second rod in a row the bloody label decal thing has peeled after Coating. Makes a hell of a mess and a bitch to fix..... :twisted: The first time I put it straight on the rod before the first coat... Peeled. second time the other day I put it on after the first coat. Peeled. I cleaned and rubbed the spot before applying both times. Both are CTS rods and labels..

So. What's the secret to stopping the peeling??

ideas anyone?

Grinch

Re: Label peeling Help!!

Post by Grinch » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:48 pm

I've had the same problem...

I believe there are two ways to sort this out. One I've tried and the other I have not.

1. Apply a coating of epoxy to the blank and allow it to dry for a day. Apply the decal over the top of the epoxy and then epoxy over it.

This is the method I've tried, and the decal definitely sticks to the epoxied blank far better than when the blank is bare. The only issue I've had with this method was once when the label didn't go on flat straight away because I didn't place it correctly, and it ended up with a bubble in it. The rest of it stuck like shit to a blanket and the edges didn't even look like peeling.

2. I have been advised that applying the decal to the blank and applying a coat of colour preserver before epoxying will stop it from lifting. It makes good sense to me, but I can't vouch for it because I've never tried it... I don't even have any colour preserver. I'm going to try this method on my next build.

I heard that CTS were going to start using an improved decal? I was hoping so, because I've had a few turn pear shaped at this stage of the process and it gets old really quick.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:00 pm

It's been a while since I last built one, but recall using cp as grinch mentioned and it seemed to work, might have even just run a small bead around the edge of the decal which stopped it lifting

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:07 pm

Ahh. Thanks Pples. Sadly the coat of epoxy then decal didn't do diddly squat... Still peeled up.. BTW. Was using Prowrap if that makes any difference?

Maybe CP maybe the answer. It bothers me that you spend so much on a blank, then spend hours on getting everything. Just. So. Then the bloody decal craps out on you. It bothers me a lot.

I'm going to send CTS an email and ask what the go is. I have seen on FB this is not an isolated problem so maybe they are onto it. Hope so.

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:57 pm

Well the Saga continues. I used CP on the blank prior to putting on the decal but it peeled..... Hell of a mess that has taken me a couple of hours to fix. Dunno what it is with these CTS decals..... :evil:

Grinch

Post by Grinch » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:15 am

I thought I read a while ago they were going to supply a better quality label?

Dave

Post by Dave » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:24 pm

Just starting on a CTS build. Does anyone know if this issue has been sorted? I don't want to have the issues I have had before on this one.
Dave

AJS Reels

Post by AJS Reels » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:12 pm

Nearing the completion of my CTS Quartz Glass DH 1136 and so far the label has stayed put under 2 coats of ProKote. Used the tape method to remove the label from the backing strip which then held it for placement, no touchy the fingers any where on the label !